Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Future Tacoma owner needs advise!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
slugtaco is on a distinguished road
slugtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Future Tacoma owner needs advise!

Hey everybody I'm new to the site and I need some advise. I'm currently looking at buying either a 2008 5 lug regular cab tacoma base model ($12977) or 2008 6 lug regular cab tacoma prerunner sr5 ($13977). Both trucks have around 79k miles on them, the 6 lug is a 5-speed and the 5 lug is an automatic.

I'm going to be moving to the southern California area and will be going to the desert quite often, my question to everyone is, which truck would perform better as far as putting the Total Chaos UCA's and a 3 leaf Deaver pack on and which drivetrain would better suit driving on rough trails with occasional little jumps and fire roads?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I would say get the PreRunner, it's got better ground clearance and you can also add a rear locker for more traction if it doesn't already have one.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
hmm yeah thats what i was thinking, as far as a rear locker goes, think its all stock..
Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
pre runner
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Well, the locker was part of an option package if I recall correctly.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
medictrack will become famous soon enoughmedictrack will become famous soon enough
Name: Bill
medictrack's Tacoma Gallery
pre runner and welcome
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
TRD off road has rear locker stock and sport (Atrack) can get a similar version with the yellow wire mod. Not 100% sure about the models that can apply the yellow wire mod. Check the 2nd gen thread.

Id go with the prerunner, that price seams about right. More things that can be done to 6 lug too, better rims, suspension, ground clearence ect. Unless you could find a trd offroad in your price range. I have one and i really happy with how it handles offroad for stock equipment.

Welcome to Tacoma World.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Well, the locker was part of an option package if I recall correctly.
is there anyway to tell by just looking at it?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
If it has a trd offroad sticker on the bed side and has a button to the bottom left of steering wheel that says Rear dif lock
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
TRD off road has rear locker stock and sport (Atrack) can get a similar version with the yellow wire mod. Not 100% sure about the models that can apply the yellow wire mod. Check the 2nd gen thread.

Id go with the prerunner, that price seams about right. More things that can be done to 6 lug too, better rims, suspension, ground clearence ect. Unless you could find a trd offroad in your price range. I have one and i really happy with how it handles offroad for stock equipment.

Welcome to Tacoma World.
oh alright, i'll have to check that out.. thanks!
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Picking up the 6 lug on Monday! wooo!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
B.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blanalin
B.Radd.KO's Tacoma Gallery
Your gonna love it. Throw a S/C in it!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV