Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New owner. Need Ideas.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
unpack is on a distinguished road
Name: Carlos
unpack's Tacoma Gallery
New owner. Need Ideas.

I finally bought a tacoma. 06 double cab, trd, sr5 manual 6cy. Thats as much as I know ha. I dont really know much of the car lingo. I can do simple things to my truck myself (change the oil, the stereo, fill it with gas). I've been reading some posts and sometimes I leave more confused. I would like to add or mod (understood that one) my truck a little. First my truck was used. I want to fix all the scratches or chips the paint has. I dont think i could do this myself...or could I? Really what I would like are ideas on what to do to the truck. I would like some fog headlights and taillights, black emblems, black rims (I seen some people painting them I dont know if this is a good idea). I will post some pictures later. I just like the beefy look in some trucks. Oh also my truck has off road suspension (so the dealer said)

Thanks in advance and I hope I made sense.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
this site is full of mods. some of the chips and dings could be fixed by a paint shop for pretty cheap if they are not to big. some scratches can be buffed out if not too deep. fog light mods for 2nd generation tacoma's are on the site as well just use the search. Painting the emblems seems to be a great mod from what I read and not to hard. Just but like masking take or the blue paint around the emblems and use a heat gun or blow dryer to remove then paint and reinstall with double sided sticky tape..
Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
JstreetS will become famous soon enoughJstreetS will become famous soon enough

Name: Jay
JstreetS's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW - the mods to your truck are endless. Check out for pictures and try the search feature. Can find different tire/wheel combos, cheap mods (do-it-yourself type), and maybe meet up with some L.V. Tacomas for more ideas. Be on the look-out for Group Buys too that offer exclusive TW pricing! Have fun...
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome, you've found the right place for ideas, just hold on to your checkbook, credit cards and wallet.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
rwmc is on a distinguished road

Army: E-5, 20th Engr. Brig, 82nd Engr Det. Rapid deployment. Coast Guard Res. Honolulu Grp. USS Jarvis
rwmc's Tacoma Gallery
I fixed some scratches with touch up paint, 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper, scratch remover and elbow grease. Wax it up and good as new. Fill scatches and let dry overnight. Tape area and sand even with grits noted. Buff out with sratch remover or polishing compound. Wax and GO.The big stuff can be done, just need patiences. Good luck.
Recommend 1st cheap mod: get a piece of welded wire mesh from hardware store ($5 for large sheet) cut to size to fit behind the front grill. This will save your radiator from flying bugs and road stuff from damaging your radiator cooling fins.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
medictrack will become famous soon enoughmedictrack will become famous soon enough
Name: Bill
medictrack's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome
Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV
Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the chip/scratch. Some stuff is better left done for a body shop. Run your fingernail over the scratch, if it catches, it will be hard to get out perfect. If it doesnt, its on top of the clearcoat or slightly into it. Use nu-finish scratch doctor on the surface ones, and if that doesnt work use rubbing compound carefully. Plan on re-waxing that area afterwards.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
unpack is on a distinguished road
Name: Carlos
unpack's Tacoma Gallery
Well I finally did something. I took all the emblems off. I painted the toyota sign on the grill glossy black...It looks nice. I will post pictures later today. However I went to get an estimate and they wanted 900 dollars to paint one bumper...350 to paint the hood scoop. Is that a lot? I need to find me a friend with a shop ha. I also want to paint the wheels black. I seen people buying grilles from Craig I think. What is a satoshi? I need a new grille but I also think of repainting (black) mine. I am lost I need some guidance. IF anyone from vegas or henderson is reading this let me know if you guys know of a place to take it to get it painted. I am a poor teacher but love my truck.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpack View Post
Well I finally did something. I took all the emblems off. I painted the toyota sign on the grill glossy black...It looks nice. I will post pictures later today. However I went to get an estimate and they wanted 900 dollars to paint one bumper...350 to paint the hood scoop. Is that a lot? I need to find me a friend with a shop ha. I also want to paint the wheels black. I seen people buying grilles from Craig I think. What is a satoshi? I need a new grille but I also think of repainting (black) mine. I am lost I need some guidance. IF anyone from vegas or henderson is reading this let me know if you guys know of a place to take it to get it painted. I am a poor teacher but love my truck.
I think thats Over priced. My friend's garage door came down on his bumper and they re did it perfectly for 400 bucks. Cant comment on hoodscoop. Try to get your wheels powdercoated if you like that look, because with all the road debris the paint might chip years down the road. A satoshi grill is a special grille made by homertaco on here, a vendor. He handmakes each one, can't beat their quality, top-notch made in the USA. Here is the link to his thread;

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hom...hi-grills.html