1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New owner. Need Ideas.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by unpack, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    unpack

unpack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Henderson NV
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SR5 Prerunner Sport DebadgeIndigo Blue
    Satoshi, Behind the grille lights, HIDs Fog lights.
    I finally bought a tacoma. 06 double cab, trd, sr5 manual 6cy. Thats as much as I know ha. I dont really know much of the car lingo. I can do simple things to my truck myself (change the oil, the stereo, fill it with gas). I've been reading some posts and sometimes I leave more confused. I would like to add or mod (understood that one) my truck a little. First my truck was used. I want to fix all the scratches or chips the paint has. I dont think i could do this myself...or could I? Really what I would like are ideas on what to do to the truck. I would like some fog headlights and taillights, black emblems, black rims (I seen some people painting them I dont know if this is a good idea). I will post some pictures later. I just like the beefy look in some trucks. Oh also my truck has off road suspension (so the dealer said)

Thanks in advance and I hope I made sense.

2. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    this site is full of mods. some of the chips and dings could be fixed by a paint shop for pretty cheap if they are not to big. some scratches can be buffed out if not too deep. fog light mods for 2nd generation tacoma's are on the site as well just use the search. Painting the emblems seems to be a great mod from what I read and not to hard. Just but like masking take or the blue paint around the emblems and use a heat gun or blow dryer to remove then paint and reinstall with double sided sticky tape..

3. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    JstreetS

JstreetS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    -6" Procomp -18" Method Race Rims -285/70R18 (34.1x11.5) Toyo MTs -TRD CAT Exhaust -Trifecta Tonneau
    Welcome to TW - the mods to your truck are endless. Check out for pictures and try the search feature. Can find different tire/wheel combos, cheap mods (do-it-yourself type), and maybe meet up with some L.V. Tacomas for more ideas. Be on the look-out for Group Buys too that offer exclusive TW pricing! Have fun...

4. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Welcome, you've found the right place for ideas, just hold on to your checkbook, credit cards and wallet. :D

5. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    rwmc

rwmc Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco
    3" Revtek w/ add leaf, Borla Dual Exhaust.
    I fixed some scratches with touch up paint, 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper, scratch remover and elbow grease. Wax it up and good as new. Fill scatches and let dry overnight. Tape area and sand even with grits noted. Buff out with sratch remover or polishing compound. Wax and GO.The big stuff can be done, just need patiences. Good luck.
    Recommend 1st cheap mod: get a piece of welded wire mesh from hardware store ($5 for large sheet) cut to size to fit behind the front grill. This will save your radiator from flying bugs and road stuff from damaging your radiator cooling fins.

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Ryan07

Ryan07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Icon Ext. Coilovers, LR UCA's, Icon AAL, Nitro 9000 Shocks, 7"Kragen HID's/Billet Grille, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bed Lights, Diff Breather Mod, D-Rings Mod, LED Interior Lighting/Plate Lights, LED 4X4 Switch, Viper Starter, AVH-P4200DVD, PAC Interface, OEM Backup Camera/Pop&lock, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps, 8000lbs Champion Winch/Winch Cradle and Quick Connect Kit, 4,500lbs Champion Winch/Front Hidden Winch Mount, OEM Painted Rims, Spidertrax 1.25, 265/70R17 BFG KO's
    welcome to TW!

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    medictrack

medictrack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma 4x4
    relentless sliders bullet proof front skid pro comp bilstein lift fj trd tt wheels duratracs
    Welcome

8. Jan 16, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]

9. Jan 16, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Depends on the chip/scratch. Some stuff is better left done for a body shop. Run your fingernail over the scratch, if it catches, it will be hard to get out perfect. If it doesnt, its on top of the clearcoat or slightly into it. Use nu-finish scratch doctor on the surface ones, and if that doesnt work use rubbing compound carefully. Plan on re-waxing that area afterwards.

10. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    unpack

unpack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Henderson NV
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SR5 Prerunner Sport DebadgeIndigo Blue
    Satoshi, Behind the grille lights, HIDs Fog lights.
    Well I finally did something. I took all the emblems off. I painted the toyota sign on the grill glossy black...It looks nice. I will post pictures later today. However I went to get an estimate and they wanted 900 dollars to paint one bumper...350 to paint the hood scoop. Is that a lot? I need to find me a friend with a shop ha. I also want to paint the wheels black. I seen people buying grilles from Craig I think. What is a satoshi? I need a new grille but I also think of repainting (black) mine. I am lost I need some guidance. IF anyone from vegas or henderson is reading this let me know if you guys know of a place to take it to get it painted. I am a poor teacher but love my truck.

11. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    I think thats Over priced. My friend's garage door came down on his bumper and they re did it perfectly for 400 bucks. Cant comment on hoodscoop. Try to get your wheels powdercoated if you like that look, because with all the road debris the paint might chip years down the road. A satoshi grill is a special grille made by homertaco on here, a vendor. He handmakes each one, can't beat their quality, top-notch made in the USA. Here is the link to his thread;

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/171169-made-order-satoshi-grills.html

Products Discussed in

To Top