Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Old 01-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
khschneider01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Karl
khschneider01's Tacoma Gallery
2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Hi : everyone I just joined, although ,I visited this site many times to browse around. I'm having trouble greeting everyone as a new member, also I do not know if this greeting is going to be posted in the right place ,if not ...my appologies. Anyway youll have to put up with me until, I can navigate around this site a little easier.

I have one question regarding the lubrication of the driveshaft universals which is done, usually every 7000KM or between oil changes using (100% synthetic) What's the best way? Should I : Chock the front wheels,
place the jack under the rear differential and raise the back wheels off the ground just enough to turn them(wheels) as i grease the universals ,turning the wheels should turn the driveshaft and in turn position the grease nipples that I can't connect with.
Best regards Karl
Attached Thumbnails
2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4-imagesca366x32.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, Karl. Welcome. Yup, you got it right about chocking, etc.

However, the driveline service interval is every 30k miles, same as for the differentials.

Here is the 2001 maintenance schedule:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...nce-guide.html

and you can download the factory service manual, too:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ce-manual.html
Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Thanks for the reply Scorcar,Norton and m3bassman : At first I was crawling underneath and greasing the nipples that I could connect with and then ,crawl out , start the truck and back-up a short distance to reposition the driveshaft, so I could access the grease nipples I could'nt get too. My thought was, that if I jacked up on the differential enough to raise the tires off the ground, this would allow me to spin the wheels ,enough to turn the driveshaft to a new position. That way I could finish the job in a very short time. Chocking the front wheels would stop the truck from moving when I'm underneath .
Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV
Old 01-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
You could do that. My drive way has a slight pitch to it so I just let out roll without starting it to reposition.your method would work but seems like a lot of work for such a simple job
I do this as well.

for the front driveshaft you can just turn it by hand as long as the transfer case is in 2wd.

Also you don't have to grease the slip joint (the one in the middle not near any u joints) till it squirts out. I generally do about 7-10 pumps in that one and call it good.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
My grease gun is jammed. I can't get out to squirt and it takes all my strength in both hands to computes the handle. Im about to just take it to jiffy lube to do them. It is that bad
go to autozone, they have a nice grease gun there for pretty cheap.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
braaap

Quote:
I just bought this one and used it once. It should work
oh take that sucker back, thats ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My grease gun is jammed. I can't get out to squirt and it takes all my strength in both hands to computes the handle. Im about to just take it to jiffy lube to do them. It is that bad
If you take it to Jiffy Lube, say goodbye to your TW membership.

You would be better off taking it to Krazie.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #10

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did you open the nozzle?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
braaap

My truck had a jiffy lube sticker on the windshield when I bought it. the drain plug was torqued to about 4000 ft lbs along with the filter.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #12
Driveshaft universals

Quote:
You could do that. My drive way has a slight pitch to it so I just let out roll without starting it to reposition.your method would work but seems like a lot of work for such a simple job
Your right it is a lot of work ,but I don't have any friends that own a garage so alot of the repairs are done on the driveway,I also have a slight pitch , so chocking the wheels is mandatory for this job, because you can't apply the parking brake in order to do this job. I have a good grease gun and I purchased a flexable hose with a fitting ,so it's easier to get into more complicated places ,but still ,in order to to grease all the points the driveshaft must spin around at least 180 degrees.
I want to thank the others for there input ,as this information was very good . Nothing nicer then talking to people that have been there before

I gotta go now ...I'm at work.......Best regards to All ...Karl
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
Grease gun Problems

Quote:
HeY m3basman: Don't throw that grease gun away ,They can sometimes
be a pain to re-load and prime . I'll get some advice from a guy who greases the equipment here at work and i'll get back to you with a solution to this problem ,Give me 8 days, as I'm finishing my shift today
Best Regards Karl.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by khschneider01 View Post
Your right it is a lot of work ,but I don't have any friends that own a garage so alot of the repairs are done on the driveway,I also have a slight pitch , so chocking the wheels is mandatory for this job, because you can't apply the parking brake in order to do this job. I have a good grease gun and I purchased a flexable hose with a fitting ,so it's easier to get into more complicated places ,but still ,in order to to grease all the points the driveshaft must spin around at least 180 degrees.
I want to thank the others for there input ,as this information was very good . Nothing nicer then talking to people that have been there before

I gotta go now ...I'm at work.......Best regards to All ...Karl

You in fact can apply the parking brake to do this job. At least on my truck, all the grease fittings point in the same direction on the driveshaft so once I am able to get to one of them, I can get to all of them.

Just getting it lined up initially is where you need to be able to roll it back a few inches.

No need to jack up the rear of the truck or chock the wheels.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from SoCal!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Hi Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

You in fact can apply the parking brake to do this job. At least on my truck, all the grease fittings point in the same direction on the driveshaft so once I am able to get to one of them, I can get to all of them.

Just getting it lined up initially is where you need to be able to roll it back a few inches.

No need to jack up the rear of the truck or chock the wheels.

Thanks for the input Steve ...I am going to take another look at this job and see if this can be done on a 2004. I had a 2000, but had to give it up due to frame rot with only 142,000km.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Aloha