Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Are Tacomas still RUST BUCKETS?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Leigh is on a distinguished road
Name: Leigh
Leigh's Tacoma Gallery
Are Tacomas still RUST BUCKETS?

I am about to buy a 2009 Tacoma base long bed with only 35K miles on it, but I just started reading hundreds of consumer complaints in 1991 to 2007 or 08 Tacomas about frame rusting to the point of danger to occupants, with Toyota's negligence and poor customer relations in both dealerships and upper management. Many people are ready to go into a class action suit about it. The rusting appears to be from within the frame and thus very difficult to treat or prevent. Is this still a problem, or has Toyota corrected this problem. I am NOT interested in being their next victum....any comments? Check out (Google) "Consumer affairs complaints about Toyota Tacoma"
Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I am about to buy a 2009 Tacoma base long bed with only 35K miles on it, but I just started reading hundreds of consumer complaints in 1991 to 2007 or 08 Tacomas about frame rusting to the point of danger to occupants, with Toyota's negligence and poor customer relations in both dealerships and upper management. Many people are ready to go into a class action suit about it. The rusting appears to be from within the frame and thus very difficult to treat or prevent. Is this still a problem, or has Toyota corrected this problem. I am NOT interested in being their next victum....any comments?
The rusted frame issues were the 1st Generation Tacoma models up to the 2004s and Toyota let people bring their truck in for a frame inspection and replaced the frame if needed or bought the truck back. I don't believe there have been rust issues for the 2005 to present Tacoma. They will rust, but not like the 1st generation.

Welcome from a former upstate New Yorker (now Masshole)!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
There's some pretty gnarly rust pictures of 2005 and up Tacomas from Canada (eh) and the east coast floating around on this board. I wouldn't buy one if I lived in an area with salted roads. Not sure about the 09 and up, seems like I read somewhere that the 09s were heavier than the 08s, maybe the frames are heavier? Heavier or not they are still going to rust, just not rust through.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
There's some pretty gnarly rust pictures of 2005 and up Tacomas from Canada (eh) and the east coast floating around on this board. I wouldn't buy one if I lived in an area with salted roads. Not sure about the 09 and up, seems like I read somewhere that the 09s were heavier than the 08s, maybe the frames are heavier? Heavier or not they are still going to rust, just not rust through.
2007 with 60k miles in a heavily salted area. Frame has some light rust but nothing even remotely serious. I do wash it in the winter when it warms up though.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Infidel
abn2060 is on a distinguished road

abn2060's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's more of an issue with trucks in the rust belt. I live in Florida and the undercarrage of my '02 looks like new. It's garrage kept, never seen salty roads and has never been off road though.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ailing-14.html

Check out post 264 in this thread. The motor mount issue is a separate issue that does not affect the 07s and up, but the frame looks really rusty to me.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV