Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Finally.....A Truck
3puttbob is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
3puttbob's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 3puttbob
Another new Tacoma

Hi all
I've always had a truck since birth until 5 years ago (the wife, you know the rest). Well, it was time to do it again. Found a near mint 2000 Prerunner 2wd.(sorry 4wdrs, I'm 60 and slowing down a bit). My question is I go prospecting a lot in the desert and figure since it's a 2wd I should have a winch (maybe a wench too). I would like to mount in the rear (no, not that) and am deciding to put it behind the stock bumper or get a receiver mount and just slide it in when needed. Need some voices of experience.
Bob
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

I know some people have found ways to mount a winch on stock bumpers... Search around a bit, I'm sure you'll find something!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from Portland Oregon!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttbob View Post
Hi all
I've always had a truck since birth until 5 years ago (the wife, you know the rest). Well, it was time to do it again. Found a near mint 2000 Prerunner 2wd.(sorry 4wdrs, I'm 60 and slowing down a bit). My question is I go prospecting a lot in the desert and figure since it's a 2wd I should have a winch (maybe a wench too). I would like to mount in the rear (no, not that) and am deciding to put it behind the stock bumper or get a receiver mount and just slide it in when needed. Need some voices of experience.
Bob
welcome!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! Don't have any input on the winch location but hope you find a wench for the cab.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Finally.....A Truck
Hey thanks to all for the welcomes. I'll continue to watch this forum. I like it. My son wrecked his pt cruiser today and I'm sure will need financial help. So I'm putting off any major purchases for a little while. But, this is a cool forum. I had an SR5 in the 90's but this prerunner is way cooler.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV
Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
Finally.....A Truck
Thought I'd add a picture of my 2000 Prerunner. Found it at a Toyota dealer in Anaheim. Out, in and under looks like a 2 year old truck. The downside? 280K on the mileage. I took a chance but, Toyota's rep for being bulletproof helps. Any of you have an idea for the most popular Toyota accessory to add?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from NV!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
jlstang351 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
jlstang351's Tacoma Gallery
Nice find and don't let the miles worry you, looks like it was well taken care of.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
hdraptor is on a distinguished road
Name: Amanda
hdraptor's Tacoma Gallery
Question I dont know what I did!! Please HELP!

I am new to Tacoma World but let me just say this is a very cool site!!! OK so my Taco was feeling a little sluggish so I took it upon myself to change the plugs. I have changed the plugs on my old Chevy and my Altima Coupe. The Taco was a little different but I managed to figure it out and I thought I did a great job. I started it and the engine felt great, until I drove it. Then the brakes just felt like they weren't grabbing. I pushed down on the brakes and it kept rolling until I really pressed down on the brake. So I don't know what I did!!! I am sort of freaking out because I am not sure what could I have done to have affected the breaks??? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!! THANKS!!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Finally.....A Truck
Hi Raptor
Could you have slipped and kinked the master cylinder line? Maybe knocked off a vacuum line accidentally? I can't think of anything else.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
raptor,

I tend to agree with 3puttbob, look for a disconnected vacum line or vacum stem without a plug on it. You have lost your vacum boost to the brakes somehow.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Aloha
Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
Thank you so much for your input 3putt. I took yours and wolftree's advice, I read up on vacuum lines. Apparently when I pulled the last plug on the driver side, I cracked the cap causing my brakes to freak me out, I replaced the cap and it was good as new. Again, thank you, it saved me money!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Thank you Wolftree, you and 3puttbob's advice was correct. I cracked the vacumm cap next to the last spartplug on the driver side. You guys saved me money and I learned something new. Thanks again!!

Raptor
Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #20
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Raptor,

I am glad you found the problem and are back on the road again.