Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Newbie from CT

Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
ISpeed is on a distinguished road
Name: John
ISpeed's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie from CT

I just bought a 2012 Tacoma access cab TRD. I would like to modify but have no idea what are great parts or what I can really do with it. Since this is my first truck any help will be appreciated and apologize in advance if I'm asking question that have been asked before. For example, I want to put some tires on it but I don't know which ones are good to off-road once in a while but still use it on the highway since it's my daily. Oh the tires will have to fit the stock 17 inch rims and not rub. Also, I want to get some running boards but I don't know if I should get 3 inch or 4 inch. Also, I want to do the retrofit Bi-Xenon kit but I don't know which one will be like OEM fitment. Any help, pictures, or links will be helpful.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
im in bethel ct where are you located? theres many small and affordable lift options out there....a 265-70-17 is as big a tire your gonna want to run without a full 3in lift or any rubbing stock.....i highly recomend nitto terra grapplers or goodyear duratracs for a great ride on road with good offroad ability...or bfg km2's,cooper stt's,toyo mt's for great offroad traction with decent on road ride comfort...i would not get running boards if you plan on doing "ANY" kind of offroading.....you should look into bolt on rock sliders or even avid step bars...i would get a set of bilstein 5100 shocks up front ,they ride great are very affordable and u can go from stock height too 2.5in of lift with just the shock....for example if you set them at .85in lift it will make the truck sit more level rather then the front being so much lower then the back...
Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW
Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! Try searching some of the topics you're interested in on here, you'll find the answers!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
ISpeed's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in Milford so not too far from you. Thank you all for making me feel welcome and for some of the heads up hard2kill.. this might be a stupid question but why are running boards a bad idea for any off-roading?.. I'm going to do some research on those tires and those shocks
Old 01-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the new truck and welcome to TW!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
ISpeed's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks and I would have never tought that the truck will be this fun to drive
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

running board will get broke fast...take alook at all the trucks on this forum no one that leaves the pavement has running boards for a reason....if you ever wanna come to one of our offroading/camping meets i can promise you running boards may go in but they wont come out...lol..if you dnt mind me asking how old are you and whats ur hobbies and intrests or intentions with the truck? it will help us point you in the right direction parts wise and also money wise....
Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from NV!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
ISpeed's Tacoma Gallery
Now I understand why you said no running boards. I would like to attend those camping/off-roading meets. I'm 21 but a very hard worker and that's how I was able to afford the truck and everything I have so please don't let my age mislead you... My interests and hobbies have always been sport cars but now that I got the truck and realized how fun it is I would like to start modifying it. This truck will be my daily so I don't plan to go over board for example no 6 inch lift kit for me. However, I think a two inch lift kit will be ok.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
RbGar is on a distinguished road

RbGar's Tacoma Gallery
Yoyo from RI, must post pics!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
ISpeed's Tacoma Gallery
I will post pics as I go along with my build
Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #18

cool theres lots of young hard workers on here man...ive been a member on lots of forums..ive built an all motor eclipse,1st gen tsi talon,wrx,duramax diesel,z71 chevy,zx6r ninja,yamaha r6r,and this is the best forum ive ever been on...just a great group of people....6in lifts arent good for our truck 6in lifts actually stay at the mall however a few guys offroad them..most of us run 2-3in of lift and 33's...you wont believe how amazing these things are offroad...i also had a 89 wrangler with 4in lift an 33's and my tacoma is way better on the trail.....if you have a budget in mind and some ideas of what you wanna do let us know and well point you in the right direction....feel free to pm me if u have questions buddy
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
TennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Phill Goodfactor
TennesseeFan76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
im in bethel ct where are you located? theres many small and affordable lift options out there....a 265-70-17 is as big a tire your gonna want to run without a full 3in lift or any rubbing stock.....i highly recomend nitto terra grapplers or goodyear duratracs for a great ride on road with good offroad ability...or bfg km2's,cooper stt's,toyo mt's for great offroad traction with decent on road ride comfort...i would not get running boards if you plan on doing "ANY" kind of offroading.....you should look into bolt on rock sliders or even avid step bars...i would get a set of bilstein 5100 shocks up front ,they ride great are very affordable and u can go from stock height too 2.5in of lift with just the shock....for example if you set them at .85in lift it will make the truck sit more level rather then the front being so much lower then the back...
I love my Terra Grapplers
Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
ISpeed's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question will I need or is it recommended to get a UCA if I'm going to install the 5100 to even out the front of the truck.. If theres a thread please attach the link I'm still getting used to this forum.. Thanks