1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie from CT

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ISpeed, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    ISpeed

ISpeed [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Milford, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I just bought a 2012 Tacoma access cab TRD. I would like to modify but have no idea what are great parts or what I can really do with it. Since this is my first truck any help will be appreciated and apologize in advance if I'm asking question that have been asked before. For example, I want to put some tires on it but I don't know which ones are good to off-road once in a while but still use it on the highway since it's my daily. Oh the tires will have to fit the stock 17 inch rims and not rub. Also, I want to get some running boards but I don't know if I should get 3 inch or 4 inch. Also, I want to do the retrofit Bi-Xenon kit but I don't know which one will be like OEM fitment. Any help, pictures, or links will be helpful.

2. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    im in bethel ct where are you located? theres many small and affordable lift options out there....a 265-70-17 is as big a tire your gonna want to run without a full 3in lift or any rubbing stock.....i highly recomend nitto terra grapplers or goodyear duratracs for a great ride on road with good offroad ability...or bfg km2's,cooper stt's,toyo mt's for great offroad traction with decent on road ride comfort...i would not get running boards if you plan on doing "ANY" kind of offroading.....you should look into bolt on rock sliders or even avid step bars...i would get a set of bilstein 5100 shocks up front ,they ride great are very affordable and u can go from stock height too 2.5in of lift with just the shock....for example if you set them at .85in lift it will make the truck sit more level rather then the front being so much lower then the back...

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome!

4. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Welcome to TW

5. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    Welcome to TW! Try searching some of the topics you're interested in on here, you'll find the answers!

6. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    ISpeed

ISpeed [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Milford, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I'm in Milford so not too far from you. Thank you all for making me feel welcome and for some of the heads up hard2kill.. this might be a stupid question but why are running boards a bad idea for any off-roading?.. I'm going to do some research on those tires and those shocks

7. Jan 19, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Congrats on the new truck and welcome to TW! :wave:

8. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    ISpeed

ISpeed [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Milford, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Thanks and I would have never tought that the truck will be this fun to drive

9. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    running board will get broke fast...take alook at all the trucks on this forum no one that leaves the pavement has running boards for a reason....if you ever wanna come to one of our offroading/camping meets i can promise you running boards may go in but they wont come out...lol..if you dnt mind me asking how old are you and whats ur hobbies and intrests or intentions with the truck? it will help us point you in the right direction parts wise and also money wise....

10. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Welcome to TW from NV!

11. Jan 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Welcome to TW!

12. Jan 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    jazzystoy69

jazzystoy69 Little Punisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    CONNECTICUT
    Vehicle:
    LITTLE PUNISHER
    Intake mod - Flowmaster super40 - cree reverse lights - Grillecraft - MetalMiller emblem - Bilstien 5100s front and back - Spidertraxs 1.5 - AFE prodry S filter - Extang Black Max cover - Black muffler tip - 20% Tints All Around - Energy Poly Sway Bar Bushings - Sway Bar Links -Energy Suspension cab body mounts- AVS Hood Bug Defflector - AVS Black smoked window rain guards - Engine Silicone Hoses - sockmonkey bedside badges - sockmonkey TRD windshield Decal - westing step bars - snobord Light Bar & Hella Black Magic 500 Lights - TRD shift Knobs - Black shorty antena - dee zee all weather floor mats -Smoked spider Euro LED tail Lights -T R D 3rd brake Light Cover - Tail Gate Seal -CoverKing Neosupreme seat covers.
  13. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    ISpeed

ISpeed [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Milford, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Now I understand why you said no running boards. I would like to attend those camping/off-roading meets. I'm 21 but a very hard worker and that's how I was able to afford the truck and everything I have so please don't let my age mislead you... My interests and hobbies have always been sport cars but now that I got the truck and realized how fun it is I would like to start modifying it. This truck will be my daily so I don't plan to go over board for example no 6 inch lift kit for me. However, I think a two inch lift kit will be ok.

14. Jan 20, 2012 at 5:25 AM
    RbGar

RbGar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Little Rhody RI
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Toytec ultimate kit w/Radflo option, UCA's, OME Dakar, 4x SpiderTrax 1.25", DuraTrac's, WickedFlow
    Yoyo from RI, must post pics!

15. Jan 21, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    ISpeed

ISpeed [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Milford, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I will post pics as I go along with my build

16. Jan 21, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    TennesseeFan76

TennesseeFan76 I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Member:
    First Name:
    Phill Goodfactor
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DCLB
    3 inch lift, Debadged, 5% Tint, Custom Stereo, BHLM, Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals, OEM Bedmat, Plasti Dip Front Valence, Slims 6K HIDs (thanks goes to TheGloryFades), Hyper yellow fog lights, LED interior lights, Satoshi Grille with FJ Emblem, Pro Comp lights behind Satoshi, FatMat
    Welcome to TW!

17. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    MakoTacoma

MakoTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '97 xtra cab DX 4x4
    Congrats and welcome to TW!! :cool:

18. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    cool theres lots of young hard workers on here man...ive been a member on lots of forums..ive built an all motor eclipse,1st gen tsi talon,wrx,duramax diesel,z71 chevy,zx6r ninja,yamaha r6r,and this is the best forum ive ever been on...just a great group of people....6in lifts arent good for our truck 6in lifts actually stay at the mall however a few guys offroad them..most of us run 2-3in of lift and 33's...you wont believe how amazing these things are offroad...i also had a 89 wrangler with 4in lift an 33's and my tacoma is way better on the trail.....if you have a budget in mind and some ideas of what you wanna do let us know and well point you in the right direction....feel free to pm me if u have questions buddy

19. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    TennesseeFan76

TennesseeFan76 I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Member:
    First Name:
    Phill Goodfactor
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DCLB
    3 inch lift, Debadged, 5% Tint, Custom Stereo, BHLM, Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals, OEM Bedmat, Plasti Dip Front Valence, Slims 6K HIDs (thanks goes to TheGloryFades), Hyper yellow fog lights, LED interior lights, Satoshi Grille with FJ Emblem, Pro Comp lights behind Satoshi, FatMat
    I love my Terra Grapplers

20. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    ISpeed

ISpeed [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Milford, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Quick question will I need or is it recommended to get a UCA if I'm going to install the 5100 to even out the front of the truck.. If theres a thread please attach the link I'm still getting used to this forum.. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top