1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

future Tacoma owner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by specjay, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Mar 17, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    specjay

specjay [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2012-SR5-BLACK
    3" Pro-comp lift kit SPC Ucas 16" FJ cruiser TRD wheels gillcraft grille mod with the TOYOTA emblem Lorado access tonneau cover pop n lock tailgate
    Hi

I'm new here, I'm from Montreal, Quebec. I will soon buy a Tacoma, and i'm here to know if there is something I should check in particular before I buy my Tacoma. Is there something I must know. Issue or everything that could help me decide which one i will choose. I'm looking for 2008 and up and under 80000 kms...

thanks

2. Mar 17, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I think it really depends on what you intend to use it for... daily driver, any off-roading and how extreme? Everyone here has an opinion, and many are good. The basic things I look for when I am examining a vehicle are looking at the engine and drivetrain... identify any areas where there seems to be any liquid, sludge, potential leaking. Check tightness of head bolts if you can... loose head bolts may indicate recent engine work (saved myself a purchase disaster checking this once years ago). Examine the body, close up and from far away. Look for panels that are uneven, body lines that are not in-line, signs of painting issues such as paint has different shades in different light, overspray, texture. Examine the vehicle's frame for rust and any welds that appear fresher than others.

If you buy new, don't fall for any dealer accessories unless they will come down to internet prices (do some research). They try to upsell that crap at ridiculous prices when you can turn around and buy that stuff at very low prices through good Toyota part internet sources.

I could type all day on this, but I'll let others chime in... they'll have some great advice. take notes of what people tell you here and then go into this educated. It was a great idea to start your journey here before negotiating for a vehicle, so kudos.

Welcome!

3. Mar 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    ^ What Bob said.

4. Mar 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    specjay

specjay [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2012-SR5-BLACK
    3" Pro-comp lift kit SPC Ucas 16" FJ cruiser TRD wheels gillcraft grille mod with the TOYOTA emblem Lorado access tonneau cover pop n lock tailgate
    Thanks for your advices. The truck will pass most of the week at home because I'm working on the road with a company truck (E-350). During the weekend, I will use it to transport my ATV or some wood for the lodge. Maybe I will use it to pull my father boat ( around 3200 pounds)...

You mentioned head bolts, you mean that I should check it with my torque wrench on the 4.0L engines ??? Is there some kind of issues with the gasket or the block .

I will read a lot here before I buy, I don't want to make a mistake that I already made years ago...

Products Discussed in

To Top