1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

intro from Fairbanks Alaska.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Fairbanks AK, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    Fairbanks AK

Fairbanks AK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have owned:
    1987 Pickup. 2WD.
    Lost while fishing in 1997. The bank collapsed and the truck fell into the Potomac River. Never recovered because we couldn't find it.

1997 Tacoma AC SR5 4WD
    Bought new. Currently has 326K miles on it. Been as far south as Mexico City, and as far north as Prudhoe. Done Alaska Highway 9 times. Fairbanks to Washington DC 7 times.

2012 Tacoma AC 4WD 4WD.
    Bought new, picking up mid-april 2012.

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and work as a unix systems admin, concentrating on large storage systems and backups thereof. (large, as in 6PB clusters...)

2. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    Tacodog

Tacodog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Renton, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 TRD offroad DCSB Cement
    Icon stage 1, Icon upper control arms, 17” Fuel wheels,Ridge Grapplers, TRD exhaust, leather interior.
    Welcome. From someone who got out of fairbanks fast. Lol

3. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    :eek: that sucks

4. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    Fairbanks AK

Member:
    Why'd you leave? It's always interesting to hear stories of people who grew up here that either couldn't find work, or couldn't handle the cold, or.....something.....but end up leaving town.

I'm in my 40's, married, no kids, so I'm not exactly looking for clubs, or dating, or the "good" bars. We eat healthy (which means we don't eat out--you can't eat healthy and eat out. Eating chicken doesn't mean you eat healthy...) so the lack of chain places doesn't bother us.

The oft heard common complaint "there's nothing to do" means people don't fit here. There's too much to do from my perspective!!
    We love it here and will likely retire here.

The only negative thing we can say about Fairbanks is that it's very politically conservative, but that's largely due to the large military population. Recognizing that is a product of both age and experience, we overlook that side of town. If we don't go to that side of town it's rare to see anyone from the military, so we're OK with that.

Regardless, I was just curious, nothing negative against you or your decisions!

5. Mar 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Welcome aboard! :wave:

6. Mar 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    Tacodog

Tacodog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Renton, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 TRD offroad DCSB Cement
    Icon stage 1, Icon upper control arms, 17” Fuel wheels,Ridge Grapplers, TRD exhaust, leather interior.
    Was assigned to Ft. Wainwright. Fairbanks ia nice town. I liked it there. Just didn't like
    "todays high will be -20".

7. Mar 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    Fairbanks AK

Member:
    OH. Yeah, the cold. This is going to sound odd, but I've been here so long now that I don't even think about it anymore!!!

8. Mar 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    TAKoma907

TAKoma907 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    2.5" Lift, Bilstein shocks, 10" Sub, CCFL Halo Headlights, K and N Air Intake, MagnaFlow Exhaust
    I went to school at UAF. I actually just did a road trip up to FBX last week. Had to go to Chena and get som Pagoda while I was in the area too. Welcome aboard!

9. Mar 21, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    Welcome, yea Fairbanks, I have a love hate Thing going on with fairbanks, I love it in the summer but hate it in the winter. Never lived there but have done tons of work at wainwright and eilson and greely over the years, plus numerous projects in the area.

Products Discussed in

To Top