1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for a new Tacoma buyer please!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Brandon812, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM
    Brandon812

Brandon812 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver TRD OR
    Hello everyone, Im a first time vehicle buyer, really hoping I can afford the tacoma i want. Ill copy and paste the thread from the trading section.

I finally saved up enough money to buy my first vehicle, I've pretty much always wanted a Tacoma and recently thought hard enough about it and decided that I for sure want a tacoma. I'm just wondering what I should realistically be able to buy with around $4000, maybe less or more preferably depending on the options available, how much more would a thousand improve my options and how much more would a thousand less degrade them? I was hoping I would be able to get... and would be happy with a late 90s-early 2000s model with 100k miles?? Or more, Im not sure what a good mileage is to aim for with these being older trucks. Im just looking for a reliable tacoma that runs good etc. Two wheel drive is fine, I would prefer an extended cab. Any advice as far as what I will actually be able to buy with the amount of money I have to spend would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

So any help/ advice from anyone here would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. Jun 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    Well these trucks are pretty reliable, especially the first gen's. You wont have to worry about being that. Im not sure about your price, you could either get very lucky and find a person who needs to get rid of one, or you could possibly need some more cash to buy one. Its all timing. For a grand more im not really sure, maybe an extended cab who knows. Its all about finding a lucky one in your price range

3. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    MuleRider RN

MuleRider RN Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD
    I like your odds a lot more with at least 5k, but you'll still be limited. I researched a ton before I finally pulled the trigger on a Tacoma and noticed what you'll soon notice, a 5k Tacoma is a lot older and has a lot more miles than any other used truck. I wish you the best of luck, maybe you can happen upon someone with need for some cash or just an abundance of generosity.

4. Jun 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    Brandon812

Brandon812 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver TRD OR
    Okay after doing some more research, and sucking it up, I think im able to pay alot more than I originally posted, for one because Im really leaning towards a very specific tacoma..... v6 4x4 Ext cab automatic, I would easily be able to pay 7000-8500, any thoughts? additional advice? Again, thanks alot! Appreciated.

5. Jun 22, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    MuleRider RN

MuleRider RN Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD
    I would look towards buying from an individual vs dealership. Also make sure you have the vehicle checked by your mechanic and do an extensive test drive before making any decision. There are definitely good trucks to be had in your price range, but you're going to have to do a little negotiating.

6. Jun 22, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    subwayaz

subwayaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson,Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Accesscab; TRD
    Super Charger, Catback Exhaust,Side Wind Shades, & Carbon Fiber Dash Kit
    Take your time and you will find the deal your looking for in the price range you want. Never be a desperate consumer that is when your "Got".
    Best of luck and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for;)

Products Discussed in

To Top