Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

undercover flex tonneau cover

Old 07-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
jays929 is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
jays929's Tacoma Gallery
undercover flex tonneau cover

I decided to try an undercover flex. After a long hard decision between the F1, elite g3 and the flex, i chose the flex for its price, look, 3 year warranty and the fact that it bolts to my bed rails with no drilling.

this is my install and review.

The cover mounts slide into bedrails

first try i used the shims that came with the cover

second try i used some D-rings that i got from an army surplus link on this site, 5 for 5 bucks! plus $20 shipping lol

the cover came with a seal for the back of the box by the rear window

Once the rails and seal were installed the cover mounted in no time. 2 mounting bolts with wingnuts. first i opened the cover and lined it up nice with the box. then i folded it back up and installed the mounting bolts.

With the cover now installed i got to work on the drain tubes. I didnt want to drill any holes in my new truck so i went to the hardware store and got some supplies to rig something up. Turned out pretty sweet, i'll be painting them black one of these days.

All done and it looks great!

I installed it just in time because it rained hard for 2 weeks just after. there was a little water leak that came from the tailgate. But a tailgate seal is all i would need to fix that.

After a couple months of use i noticed some tweeks that needed to be made. For one the ends of the mounting rails were raw and very sharp, i used a small file and rounded off the edges.

2 i noticed that the cover was scratching itself when it gets folded into the upright position. sharp edges on the hinges were to blame. i covered with tape but i will have to file them also.

3 the screws holding the cover together were marking up the seal on the rails. I was worried that the seal would rip and tear from vibration so i taped the screws. i'll probably file them aswell lol

so the cover has a few bugs to work out but all and all its a great cover. looks good and folds up out of the way. what i liked about the flex over the F1 was that when folded up it doesnt touch the cab of the truck. the latch rods that hold it in the upright position are very easy to operate and very sturdy. The cover is hard but i wouldnt stand on it! nore would i use it as a bench as suggested in the flex video. Im just over 140 lbs and it bows under my weight, even when folded. Ive recieved lots of complements on it and i dont see many others on the road like it. I give this cover an 8 out of 10 overall. hope this helps
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
First4wheeldrive is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
First4wheeldrive's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, nice post. I have been debating a solid cover or a folding cover. This makes that choice a little easier.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
yellowdotz is on a distinguished road

Name: SiNNeR
yellowdotz's Tacoma Gallery
does this have a toolbox attachment option like the back flip?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
jays929's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure? And there is only 17" of clearance under the cover.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW !

Brett
Old 03-08-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
The403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to behold

The403Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up and pictures, this justifies my decision to go with this cover over the Bak product. What are your thoughts now after having this cover for a year and a half? Is it still holding up?
Also, from a fellow Calgarian, where did you buy it?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
jays929's Tacoma Gallery
Well after all of our crazy weather I'd have to say the cover is holding up very well. I'm still happy with the look and Performance of it.

When I bought it, I responded and an add in kijiji. I can't remember the guys name but he was based out of Edmonton.. I've since seen the flex for sale at the car salon and the new covers look more sleek. There is no visible screws holding it together, not that I've had any problems with my screws.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #8
Knows a little about a lot
LuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
LuckyCharms's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I really like the D-ring addition!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
jays929's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. The d-rings have definitely come in handy..
Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
The403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to beholdThe403Guy is a splendid one to behold

The403Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine installed last week and rigged up a similar drainage system to yours. Great idea, thanks. Auto Truck Depot seems to be the best place to buy tonneau covers in the South. Online pricing is better than in store so anyone looking should look online first. Thanks again for the detailed write up and pics
Attached Thumbnails
undercover flex tonneau cover-image.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #11
jays929's Tacoma Gallery
Happy to help your cover looks sweet!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #12
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Any more updates on these tonneau covers? I am torn between the fibermax and the flex
Old 07-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 09-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
tacomgee is on a distinguished road

tacomgee's Tacoma Gallery
Any pics of it folded up? How much bed space do you lose?
Old 09-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
jays929's Tacoma Gallery