1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longing for a tacoma. 2wd or 4wd?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by carson712, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jul 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    lol

2. Jul 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    the disadvantages of 4wd? :confused: . . my truck is stock with balled tires but my 4wd still comes in handy often. twice today actually. that stuff you said is neither here nor there. 4wd for the non heavy offroader is like a generator. do you need to own one for every day use? no. when the power's out during a storm is it fucking awesome to have one? yes. . same thing. get you a nice 1st gen with 4wd. you wont look back.

3. Jul 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    carson712

carson712 [OP] Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    99 4runner Limited
    get you a nice 1st gen with 4wd. you wont look back.[/QUOTE]

that's what I'm trying for, haha, and I'm not a huge fan of the 2nd gens either. I'll be back with updates.

4. Jul 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    DJSPEC

DJSPEC @GuardianAdventures

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 & 2014 TRD SPORT DCSB & 2016 TRD-OR AC 4x4
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    i was looking for a 1st gen 4x4 too. Finding a good one for cheap is almost impossible. I ended up taking on car payments for a 2011 4x4 and absolutely love it!! I get 20mpg(better than my 5cyl colorado) and still got plenty of power despite the added weight. get what you want, and you won't have buyers remorse. lol

5. Jul 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    If that is the case then your dad doesn't know SHIT about 4x4s. Does it make it heavier...well yes but it is completely negligible. By that logic you shouldn't haul any passengers because those add weight too. Does it make it less reliable? No, that's a pretty dumb reason to not get a 4x4. Yes, there is technicially more stuff that can potentially break but that is only if you abuse the shit out of it or don't follow regular maintenance, which in that case has nothing to do with the 4x4 system. Does 4x4 effect towing adversely? No, not in any way at all. Again your dad seems to be some what of a moron and is just coming up with ridiculous excuses. Like mentioned before it can help with towing if you are towing a heavy trailer off the pavement through say a grass field, or a muddy/ wet road, or especially launching a boat. If you truly don't think you need it then don't get a 4x4, but thinking that those made up excuses will be worth it the first time you are stuck in some mud hole and wishing your front wheels actually did something is silly.

I too wanted to get a taco under 100k, but i realized that in my price range that was probably just not going to happen. Honestly for these proven trucks (provided the previous owner has taken good care of it) anything under 150k is perfectly fine and will last you a very long time. It all depends on the condition honestly, I would have a very well maintained truck at 130k then a truck at 100k that has been abused and used as a work truck for it's whole life.

6. Jul 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    white toy taco

white toy taco 505 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 OR and '02 OR (sold)
    prerunners are dumb. if you get one you will regret not having 4wd. its worth the extra money

7. Jul 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    LaRue Shooter

LaRue Shooter "Keep your dick in a vise."

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Built up, locked 06 Sport Access Cab
    Trijicon sticker on rear window.
    I mulled over the 4x4 vs Prerunner thing myself before buying, and I actually ended-up with a (TRD Off Road)Prerunner. Initially, I thought I might have made a mistake, but now that I've taken the thing off road and had an opportunity to sample its capabilities, it has far surpassed what I expected of it or otherwise ever plan to do with it, even with cruddy OEM tires. I'm not a crawler type, though, so that's why I passed on the 4WD thing. If you actually plan to utilize the 4WD mode, then that's what you should get. I'd put some thought into that, though. My brother has 4WD Tundra, and that thing never, ever, ever gets used in 4x4 mode. Not even when he's in the dirt. Huge waste of money, IMO. Of course, that depends on the terrain you plan to drive on.

8. Jul 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    The main reason I have 4x4 is for snow, not off-roading.

9. Jul 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    LaRue Shooter

LaRue Shooter "Keep your dick in a vise."

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Built up, locked 06 Sport Access Cab
    Trijicon sticker on rear window.
    #1 on the list of things you don't consider when being from Southern California!

10. Jul 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    Grue00

Grue00 Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mag Gray AC 4X4 TRD OR
    Pre-Runner, all the suspension of a 4x4 without any of the capabilities. I think they just make it easier for you to get stuck worse, because the suspension lets you get in deeper. You also get the stiffer more uncomfortable ride on pavement, again without having 4 wheel drive.

Having said that if your not going to go off-road get a 4x2.

If this is about ego then forget everything and get some big useless lifted 4x4 or Pre-runner that is pretty much useless on or off road.

The main thing I think we can all agree on is that Tacoma is a great place to start.

Good Luck.

11. Jul 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    ShadesOfGrey

ShadesOfGrey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB, TRD Sport 4x4, MGM
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid CAI, Pro Comp 3" Suspension Lift, 17" Moto Metal rims w/ 33" Pro Comp tires, Powder Coated Pro-Tech Headache Rack & Toolbox
    4wd is always a good option to have. Depends on what ya want out of yer truck.

12. Jul 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner

If you want a truck that lasts, don't get "big and American". :p

If you're planning on keeping your truck for a while to use on a farm in Iowa where it snows. It's a no-brainer. Get the 4x4. :)

13. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I would bet money that you don't keep the truck 8 years, all the way through school.

14. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner

I plan on keeping mine until at least 250,000. That should take me at least another 5-6 years. :eek:

15. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    Ler

Ler Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    McMinnville Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7L access
    i don't use my 4wd very much, but i mainly got it for the resale the markets so much bigger to a 4wd truck

16. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    white toy taco

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 OR and '02 OR (sold)
    when i first got my truck i never used 4wd and i hardly even knew how to turn it on. i slowly started using it more and more.

you might think you wont use it but you might start using it a lot if you get it

17. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    x2

18. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    ManMan

ManMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry to say 4x4 lovers, but his dad is right. Not to a huge degree... But not wrong either.

4x4 is more complex with greater number of parts... So yes, t is more prone to reliabilty issues/maintenance cost.

4x4 does weigh more, so slightly reduced payload allowance

4x4 does get slightly worse mpgs

So unless you're into off roading, or live in a climate where you need 4x4, why pay the premium?

19. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The weight issue and MPG issue is a pretty null point. It doesn't make that big of difference. Maintenance is spot on, however if you know what you're doing, you can maintain all that stuff your self. And if you don't know what you're doing, ask some TW guys in your area and they'd be more than happy to help you. :thumbsup:

20. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    white toy taco

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 OR and '02 OR (sold)
    thats like saying "why bring an umbrella on a cloudy day if it is not currently raining"... well because you might need to use it

Products Discussed in

To Top