Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

better sound system

Old 09-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Incubus311 is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
Incubus311's Tacoma Gallery
better sound system

I upgraded my stereo and put in component speakers. KENWOOD Excelon KDC-X395 (stereo) and Polk Audio DXi 5250 (comp. speakers) . It sounds OK at best. I am sick of having a crappy sound system. This is a 2010 and the original system was crap! Anyways.. I was told 6.5" speakers would not fit (I still don't think this is true) so I went with 5.25". What I don't understand is my stereo puts out 22 watts RMS and the speakers are rated for 10-100 watts, so why am I hearing distortion when I turn it all the way up?!? 22 watt RMS is in between 10-100watts! Please help. Why am i hearing distortion and what do I need for a good system? Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Really? 40 views and no replies? Thank you fellow tacomers
Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe no replies because maye that isnt a common issue, thats weird that their is distortion. I dont have any distortion on my components and i have alot more than 22rms because i am using an amp. Possibly shitty stock wiring? I dont know sorry man
Old 09-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus311 View Post
I upgraded my stereo and put in component speakers. KENWOOD Excelon KDC-X395 (stereo) and Polk Audio DXi 5250 (comp. speakers) . It sounds OK at best. I am sick of having a crappy sound system. This is a 2010 and the original system was crap! Anyways.. I was told 6.5" speakers would not fit (I still don't think this is true) so I went with 5.25". What I don't understand is my stereo puts out 22 watts RMS and the speakers are rated for 10-100 watts, so why am I hearing distortion when I turn it all the way up?!? 22 watt RMS is in between 10-100watts! Please help. Why am i hearing distortion and what do I need for a good system? Thanks
I just put 6.5" Infinity Kappa speakers up front, and 6" in the back doors. they sounded pretty good. I then added an amp and 10" sub and everything changed for the better. Amazing!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
calixto25 is on a distinguished road
calixto25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
I just put 6.5" Infinity Kappa speakers up front, and 6" in the back doors. they sounded pretty good. I then added an amp and 10" sub and everything changed for the better. Amazing!

How do you like that that sub box? I am going to get one for my truck but I am doing a top mount subwoofer.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixto25 View Post
How do you like that that sub box? I am going to get one for my truck but I am doing a top mount subwoofer.
This sub box is built well enough. Its a down fire type sub with really good performance. It just sits back there on the floor. The top is a good place to rest things without hurting the sub itself. I think the price was aprox $135.00. So all in all, I am very happy.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I think that would be a common issue. The amp may be rated for x Watts but at high output, the amp that is part of your head unit will struggle. It simply doesn't have the electronics to keep up with dedicated amplifiers. The real danger is the fact that when you hear that distortion, your amp is putting out a sine wave that is 'clipped', instead of the typical smooth sine wave. A clipped sine wave is very unhealthy for speakers and leads to blown speakers.

You already have a nice head unit and decent speakers. I've always liked Polk, although I think a larger size was possible. Dedicated amp will be your next step and not too much further investment. Will sounds WORLDS better
Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
@penguins cc do you think i can fit 6.5 speakers in the front door?