1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New here! MPG tips??

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Stormchase, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Sep 12, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Stormchase

Stormchase [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma - prerunner - SR5 - V6 4.0 - TRDsport
    Turtle wax!
    Hello tacoma owners and forum members! Today is a love hate day. I have said my goodbyes to my 2 mustang forums and today i say hello once again. I traded my 02 mustang GT highly modified for 1/4 mile racing for an 08 TRDsport DC. I am very happy to be back in a Toyota as a previous toyota truck owner.
    (crap no spell check, im screwed!)

So about MPGs. First i understand i bought a large V6 truck. Not a prius :)
    My first tank was 17.19mpg wich i was happy with for 50/50 city/hwy, and a little off road fun to see how it slides.
    Anyways one reason i got the truck is for a long move from the Orlando area to Pheonix, az in march, 2013. Just about 2300 miles. For the price of renting a uHaul and car dolly i figured a Taco and trailer would be a sound choice.
    Reading some other posts on here and another forum im figuring i should be looking at around 12mpg. I will be pulling a 6x12 trailer (1950lbs) and around 1000lbs of cargo. Figuring 3k total weight.
    Normally i would hold 75-85 mpg for the trip but i believe, as hard as it will be im going to cruise at 60-65. im going to be limited on funds. Im going to need to pinch as much as i can. Concidering i will be looking at 700-800 bucks in fuel its my first concern.
    The questions i have is really anything that can help. Weight distribution per axle, high test fuels vs. costs and stuff like that. So anything and everything will be a help.

Again hello to all and i look forward to years of reading!

2. Sep 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    You're really not gonna get good mpg's towing anything. However it might help it if you drive it as you would be driving without towing. Keep rpm's under 2k and keep it under 65mph on the highway. Don't make sudden stops, coast to the stoplights/stop sign and when taking off ease on the gas.

3. Sep 12, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    Stormchase

Stormchase [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Turtle wax!
    Just want add, if i posted in an incorrect area, i will learn and please move to the correct topic.
    Thanks jt,
    Good tips and i will be doing those things. Great point on coasting into stops and very light exel. I now remember a story about an mpg pincher that did that everyday going to work and such with noticable results. Going so slow i should have the room and time to do that. I kinda drive that way already from habbits of driving an 18 wheeler for a living. Any expierence on tire pressures?
    Also i was looking at 55/45 weight distrabution. Just a little more on the drive tires just for safety. Any knowledge on the effects of mpg there? Never had to think about it :)
    Thanks
    -Bryan

4. Sep 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    Artillery68

Artillery68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Gloucester Co., N.J.
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Super White Sport
    Rugged Cover tonneau, In channel vent visors, Hose clamp tailgate mod, Pop-N-Lock, Fog lights anytime, de- badged/removed graphics, TRD shift knob, OEM bed mat, trimmed all 4 mud flaps, LEDs in
    Welcome from N.J. :wave:

5. Sep 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

tacoma4x4girl Well-Known Member

Member:
  6. Sep 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Not really sure if you'll have better mpg, but with more weight on tires than pulling weight, it should be easier on your brakes

7. Sep 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Stormchase

Stormchase [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Turtle wax!
    Thanks for the welcomes!
    Good point on the breaks. I know with a big truck it makes a little difference. As in most of the weight in the truck bed but little. Ill keep it in mind :) i know is safer and i see a lot of cars, trucks, and SUVs flipped over in the ditch with a uHaul attached.
    I have some good ideas now and thanks for the info.
    Feel free to add at anytime.
    -B
    Its just going to be tuff going so slow. Im a lead foot :) but ill have too. Will save a lot.

Products Discussed in

To Top