1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tounge Weight Capacity ???????

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Teak, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sep 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Teak

Teak [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Respect what you guys have to say more then dealers. Looking to purchase 2012 double cab maybe off road package. Coming from F250 have a tandem trailer I use with dry weight of 2000lbs with tongue weight a little over 300 lbs empty.
    Have a cabinet business and also 4 wheelers that I put in trailer that can add additional weight in front of axle adding more tongue weight. Really don't want another full size truck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Of course will put electric brake on it but my thing is the sag without altering stock suspension.

Thanks in advance !!!

2. Sep 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    V6 with the tow package is 640/650 depending on model.
    Towing capacity is 6400/6500, but the GCVWR is 11,100, with a curb weight of 3835 to 4070 and GVWR of 5250/5350, so depending on your passenger and cargo load in the bed of the Tacoma, you may be limited to 5700 on the trailer.

Keep in mind that tongue weight comes off of GVWR, so a 650lb tongue weight on a GVWR of 5350 leaves only 630lbs for passengers and cargo.

It'll handle what you want to tow, but you just need to be careful and don't expect good fuel economy.

3. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    Artillery68

Artillery68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Gloucester Co., N.J.
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Super White Sport
    Rugged Cover tonneau, In channel vent visors, Hose clamp tailgate mod, Pop-N-Lock, Fog lights anytime, de- badged/removed graphics, TRD shift knob, OEM bed mat, trimmed all 4 mud flaps, LEDs in
    Welcome from N.J. :wave:

4. Sep 16, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    Teak

Teak [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Thanks Rich really appreciate it. Glad to hear you think I'll be alright you really know your stuff. I didn't want to buy another full size that I've been driving for past 20 years. Will the sport off road package make a difference with stiffer suspension?

My biggest concern was putting two 4 wheel drive ATV's around 650 lbs a piece in trailer and towing them. The cabinets aren't much of a concern and the Passengers probably won't exceed 360 lbs.

Thanks again !!!

5. Sep 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I'm not sure there's a difference in the spring rates between the standard 4x4 and the TRD packages. The TRD does have stiffer shocks, but beyond that, I'm not really up on the Tacoma offroad options.

I hear ya on not wanting a full sized.
    Normally, my recommendation if you're going to be doing a lot of towing, the full size is the way to go for both comfort and safety, but for occasional towing, it's nice to have a smaller truck to maneuver around town.

Products Discussed in

To Top