1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake squeal

Discussion in 'New Members' started by toyjack, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Aug 9, 2007 at 1:54 PM
    toyjack

toyjack [OP] New Member

Member:
    Blountville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 Access cab V-6
    I have a 2007 tacoma access cab 4x4 with 11000 miles on it. The brakes started to squeal at about 2500 miles. Was told just normal and it was very loud. Had looked at all post on the site and just recently taken mine in again for the same problem and this time was told it was from over spray from the use of tire shine and that it was on the rotors and pads and could not be removed. They wanted to do a brake job on the truck. I have found that it happens more on wet and humid days. I will be contacting Toyota and see what they have to say, first time not much help. I do feel that it is an issue that Toyota needs to address with so many having same problem. Just new to the site and really enjoy it. Helps me keep up with my Tacoma.

2. Aug 9, 2007 at 2:08 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw,toyjack!! if you dont feel like going back to the stealer and getting the same answers, take you pads and rotors and sand them down just a bit with either some medium or mild grit sandpaper and reinstall. basically,it sounds like they are glazing over. ive had to do this in the past to the mustang that my wife used to have, and it usually did the trick for me. hope this helps.

3. Aug 9, 2007 at 3:42 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    tire shine doesnt cause brakes to sqeal. All the tire shine i have used over the years i should be deaf from brake squeal. Also it is either like taco said they might be glazed a little or it could be brake dust. Try high pressure spray and some hard stops after spray. DO NOT SPARY HOT ROTORS.

4. Oct 13, 2007 at 8:51 AM
    toyjack

toyjack [OP] New Member

Member:
    Blountville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 Access cab V-6
    Since the dealership came up with the tire shine being the problem I have contacted Toyota and only received lip service and they are sorry I am not happy with my Toyota. (Love my Toyota but not the Brake Squeal). Will be trying another Dealership for my 15,000 mile service and will mention the problem to them and see what they say. At the tireshine dealership pads and shoes were in good shape.

I have found that on rainy and damp days more likely to squeal. I back out of carport approximately 20feet apply brakes and sounds like you run over a cats tail. Go forward and apply brake no squeal?

Problem started shortly after I got the Truck and have mentioned it to the dealership approximately 4-5times and the last being the tireshine.

I have used the tire shine and and not had the squeal on dry/hot days several times but then it has also happened on a dry/hot day.

It's a 07 Tacoma/access cab 4X$ V-6. Anyone else having this same problem? Will see what the other dealership says in a week or two.

5. Oct 13, 2007 at 9:46 AM
    TrippinEx

TrippinEx Active Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Kenwood DNX7100, leather seats, rims, K&N Filter
    My father has a 2006 4cycl and has the same problem:

backup and apply the brakes, squeal.
    pull forward and apply the brakes, no squeal.

Dealership said it was normal. It's still bugging my father to this day.

6. Oct 13, 2007 at 10:05 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i can hear a squeal when i am going forward and stop from time to time. i usually only hear it though when i'm going through drive thru's and what not

7. Oct 13, 2007 at 10:21 AM
    Bigman_CP

Bigman_CP Member

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    3" lift, tires, clear altezza tail lights; clear turn signal lights; vent visors; K&N air filter; all emblems removed; LED lic plate, reverse, dome, and map lights;
    I have a 2007 quad cab 4x4 trd sport with only 4,000 miles on it and the brakes are starting to squeal. It mostly sounds like its from the rear. Also the stopping power isn't as good as other vehicles. I think it's the stupid drums. Other than the brakes, I really like my new truck. Also new to his site, but like what I see so far.

8. Oct 13, 2007 at 12:06 PM
    909tacoma

909tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    +1
    Was it really that hard to go disc all around?

Products Discussed in

To Top