Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

My 1st ever tacoma 2012 TRD Sport

Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Jlance4x4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Lance
Jlance4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My 1st ever tacoma 2012 TRD Sport

Hey ya'll!! 2 Weeks ago I recently purchased a brand new 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Double Cab. Anyone else that has recently purchased one feel free to give me your feedback. So far I have loved it a lot easier to park than 09 F150 and doing a tad better on gas mileage however I did expect better than what I am getting ...My first mod was a k and n air filter and my first tank since i installed the air filter I have dropped approximately 1.5 mpg versus gaining 1-2 mpg. Has this happened to anyone else?

But other than that as stated earlier I love the truck, I just need to test out the 4wd soon lol!

Oh and future mods are to come...
6" lift
35/12.50/20's
20 Fuel Throttle wheels
(I realize all these mods will definitely kill gas mileage after installed)
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, from Nova Scotia.

Frank
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Congrads on your new truck. About a month a go I got me a 2011 TRD prerunner DC with the 4.0 and love this truck! I had a 99 tacoma befor this one with the 3.4 I too did the K&N and then took it out and went to the AFE pro dry air filter on my 99 taco. and I anded up taking it out also. Same thing as you no better MPG. In fact, with the K&N it derted up my MAF sensor and with the AFE I was getting more dust inside my air intake tube. So from now on I run nothing but the OEM Toyota filter. Just my $0.2
Old 10-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody has ever really seen a 1-2 mpg gain with any air filter. Shouldn't make it 1.5 mpg worse though, other things must have caused that.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
You won't see noticeable mpg gains til you hit 3k-5k miles. Keep it under 65 mph on highway and under 2k rpm's to get the best mpg
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Thanks for the input guys. I may do like you said tacoma guy, give it a few more hundred miles and then just go back to stock if i don't see any improvements or at least continue to see a small decrease.
Thanks for mentioning the collection of dirt on the sensor with that k and n thats definitely something to take into consideration when thinking about going back to stock
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlance4x4 View Post
Hey ya'll!! 2 Weeks ago I recently purchased a brand new 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Double Cab. Anyone else that has recently purchased one feel free to give me your feedback. So far I have loved it a lot easier to park than 09 F150 and doing a tad better on gas mileage however I did expect better than what I am getting ...My first mod was a k and n air filter and my first tank since i installed the air filter I have dropped approximately 1.5 mpg versus gaining 1-2 mpg. Has this happened to anyone else?

But other than that as stated earlier I love the truck, I just need to test out the 4wd soon lol!

Oh and future mods are to come...
6" lift
35/12.50/20's
20 Fuel Throttle wheels
(I realize all these mods will definitely kill gas mileage after installed)
Fellow 2012 sport owner here. Fantastic truck isn't it?! As for advice, ditch that K&N filter, they are useless. As far as gas mileage goes, it's a truck it has a higher center of gravity and a hell of a lot more drag coefficient then Prius so no matter what size truck you get you are not going to ever get past 30mpg unless it's a 2 cylinder, lol. 4WD is awesome use it soon! If you are anything like me and like to 4 wheel protect your investment and get the matt123 steel skid plate that thing is a beast. Perform the rear compartment lockbox mod so you can throw some stuff back there and if you like to use the max capability of your power inverter in the rear bed perform the 400w anytime mod as well. One more thing I suggest is doing the foglight anytime DRL mod. I am highly pleased with my truck after doing this stuff. Short of that, enjoy it!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I may do like you said tacoma guy, give it a few more hundred miles and then just go back to stock if i don't see any improvements or at least continue to see a small decrease.
Thanks for mentioning the collection of dirt on the sensor with that k and n thats definitely something to take into consideration when thinking about going back to stock
Anytime jlance4x4 I am glad that I can help.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #11

Well once again thanks for the advice and the "welcome aboard" from everyone, I really appreciate it! I am also happy to say that I have officially ordered my 6' lift and 35' mickey thompson atz's with 20' fuel throttle wheels. I wish I could post pics up but can't figure out how to even get a pic of my truck to show up under the Jlance4x4 when I post on a thread. So I guess I need to play around a bit more with this website in order to figure it out lol.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
FML
agv1700 is a jewel in the roughagv1700 is a jewel in the roughagv1700 is a jewel in the roughagv1700 is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Name: Angel
agv1700's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to agv1700
Welcome to TW!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well once again thanks for the advice and the "welcome aboard" from everyone, I really appreciate it! I am also happy to say that I have officially ordered my 6' lift and 35' mickey thompson atz's with 20' fuel throttle wheels. I wish I could post pics up but can't figure out how to even get a pic of my truck to show up under the Jlance4x4 when I post on a thread. So I guess I need to play around a bit more with this website in order to figure it out lol.
I see you live in good ole K-Vegas........
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #14

jtgroce sure do! Big ol K'vegas been here all my life basically...seeing that you got foothills on your profile I'm guessing your from the King/Mt.Airy area?? Well I guess you could also be as far as the Marion/asheville area as well.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
Brad Lord is a splendid one to beholdBrad Lord is a splendid one to beholdBrad Lord is a splendid one to beholdBrad Lord is a splendid one to beholdBrad Lord is a splendid one to beholdBrad Lord is a splendid one to beholdBrad Lord is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brad
Brad Lord's Tacoma Gallery
WELCOME !
Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to tw from virginia
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
ssmith29440 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
ssmith29440's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck,Welcome
Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
Got R Did

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
jtgroce sure do! Big ol K'vegas been here all my life basically...seeing that you got foothills on your profile I'm guessing your from the King/Mt.Airy area?? Well I guess you could also be as far as the Marion/asheville area as well.
You were close! I live in Yadkinville
Old 11-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pick on getting a Tacoma and Welcome to TW!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #20

JTgroce yeah I wasn't to far off...Are you anywhere near forbush high school/middle school or starmount high school/middle school...I teach and coach at North Davidson and I know sometimes we play those two schools since they have changed all of our divisions and districts around here.
Monstercoma thanks for the welcome!