Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Going to buy a Taco - what is best for me?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
chapper is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
chapper's Tacoma Gallery
Going to buy a Taco - what is best for me?

Been browsing through these forums as my search for a new vehicle gets narrowed down. Right now I have an '01 1500 Extended Cab Silverado with 130k miles. I'd keep the truck, but a new baby is on the way (and it's about time) for the wife and I so I need something 4 doors.

I do a lot of fishing, so I was able to convince her that a truck is the best option for me. I tow a 16' boat 2-4 times a month, and with everything loaded that will hit probably 2500 pounds. Most tows are about 20 miles of highway driving. The majority of my driving is about 15-20 miles a day to and from work with just me.

So my questions are, what would be the best Taco for me? I've been debating heavily between 4/6 cylinder. I also have been trying to figure out what options I want, and think the PreRunner is the way to go. I'll be trading in my truck, and I've never purchased a car since the truck was given to me as a graduation present and is the only vehicle I've known for the past 8 years.

What I need:
4 Doors
AT
Ability to tow boat
Cruise Control

I'm leaning toward a new 2012 as most dealerships are trying to clear them out. The wife is due in February so the sooner I can get my Tacoma the better. I appreciate any advice from this pool of knowledge, and can answer any questions needed of me.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Ferntucky, NV
If you get the 4Banger get the MT the autos suck on the 4Bangers from what I've heard. If you must have the auto trany go V6.
I don't know how well the 4Banger will tow your boat. Without hills you probably wont have a problem. With hills you'll probably wish you would have gotten a V6.
AC or DCSB or DCLB? Do you need 4 Big doors or will 2 big & 2 small work? How long do you plan on keeping it? DCLB are a pain to park & won't fit in most garages.
Cruise control comes with convenience package, SR5, & TRD.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapper View Post
Been browsing through these forums as my search for a new vehicle gets narrowed down. Right now I have an '01 1500 Extended Cab Silverado with 130k miles. I'd keep the truck, but a new baby is on the way (and it's about time) for the wife and I so I need something 4 doors.

I do a lot of fishing, so I was able to convince her that a truck is the best option for me. I tow a 16' boat 2-4 times a month, and with everything loaded that will hit probably 2500 pounds. Most tows are about 20 miles of highway driving. The majority of my driving is about 15-20 miles a day to and from work with just me.

So my questions are, what would be the best Taco for me? I've been debating heavily between 4/6 cylinder. I also have been trying to figure out what options I want, and think the PreRunner is the way to go. I'll be trading in my truck, and I've never purchased a car since the truck was given to me as a graduation present and is the only vehicle I've known for the past 8 years.

What I need:
4 Doors
AT
Ability to tow boat
Cruise Control

I'm leaning toward a new 2012 as most dealerships are trying to clear them out. The wife is due in February so the sooner I can get my Tacoma the better. I appreciate any advice from this pool of knowledge, and can answer any questions needed of me.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you're looking for. I would suggest that you dont discount the 2013 models over the 2012. You should be able to purchase both @ invoice and I think the 2012 has a $750 rebate where the 2013 has a $500.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
chapper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Welcome to TW from Ferntucky, NV
If you get the 4Banger get the MT the autos suck on the 4Bangers from what I've heard. If you must have the auto trany go V6.
I don't know how well the 4Banger will tow your boat. Without hills you probably wont have a problem. With hills you'll probably wish you would have gotten a V6.
AC or DCSB or DCLB? Do you need 4 Big doors or will 2 big & 2 small work? How long do you plan on keeping it? DCLB are a pain to park & won't fit in most garages.
Cruise control comes with convenience package, SR5, & TRD.
I haven't driven a stick in 10 years and am pretty lazy when it comes to driving. My work drive is a lot of stop and go sitting through lights.

4 Big doors is preffered. Our garage is 80 feet long, but wide enough for one car and the boat takes up most of it, so that shouldn't be an issue. Is there a price jump from the DCSB to the DCLB?

What price range should I be looking at for a four door V6 with the convenience package 2012/2013?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapper View Post
Is there a price jump from the DCSB to the DCLB?
What price range should I be looking at for a four door V6 with the convenience package 2012/2013?
I don't know I didn't shop for ether. You can build & price them at www.Toyota.com
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
Doc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Doc4216's Tacoma Gallery
I would just throw out there that the PreRunner will not have 4x4. I pull a boat a couple times a month and have had to use my 4x4 at low tide a couple of times. Just something to think about.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Personally If I was in your situation I would look at getting a 4Runner unless you use the bed alot. I don't use my bed as much anymore for open hauling but I have a canopy so if we take my truck anywhere I can put all of our bags and stuff in the bed without issue. The cab gets crowded quick when you have two adults, a child and a dog.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I'd swing for the V6 and 4wd if you can. I pull an 18' boat that probably runs around the same weight. Pulls it just fine but you can tell it's back there. Could probably do without either of the TRD packages to save money.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would get 4x4 v6 if you launch boat on beach. If you use boat ramp at least get prerunner trd off road so you have the locker.

I wouldn't even consider 4cylinder if you tow. I tow with v6 all the time, nothing heavy just 5x8 enclosed trailer loaded with tools weighing at about 2500lbs and its very noticeable difference between me towing the trailer and not towing.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
OldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud of

Army: USMC 79-85 / USCG 87-89 / Army 89-12 / Retired E-8 on 07/31/12
Name: Robert
OldFatGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Love my 2012 4WD double cab. I have 17 year old twins, a 21 foot Carolina Skiff DLV and this truck does it all
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
v6 4x4
Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Hunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1LT, Infantry (11A)
Name: Hunter
Hunter.V.White's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend getting a V6 4x4 with the tow package. Look up the towing specs on toyota.com, this will help you choose between a inline 4, V6.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter.V.White View Post
I would recommend getting a V6 4x4 with the tow package. Look up the towing specs on toyota.com, this will help you choose between a inline 4, V6.
Forgot about that the tow package is nice due to the transmission cooler. You definitely want a transmission cooler if you tow.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
chapper's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

I want to thank everybody for the help. I ended up purchasing a new 2013 Double Cab V6 PreRunner. After pricing out used with the interest rates I have lower monthly payments going with the brand new at 0% for 3 years.

Now the fun begins. My first three orders of business are floor mats (getting Hexomats from IntroTech, had them before and love them), tinting the windows for the Florida summer sun, and a locking bed cover/topper.

I'm guessing there is a lot of knowledge with the bed covers/toppers around here, should I be going hard/soft? I'm thinking hard three piece like the trifecta system.

Here is a pic of my beauty below! Let me know what mods I should be looking into!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Snoyota will become famous soon enoughSnoyota will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Taylor
Snoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back and get a 4x4
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the new truck!