1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to the Forum -- Lift advice?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TacomaT, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    TacomaT

TacomaT [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    I have owned my 05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 since 2007, and have thrown 80K miles on it. The only thing I have changed is throwing a set of BFG TA/AT 265/75/R17 on it about 50,000 miles ago. It has spent plenty of time in the dirt (multiple trips to Anzo Borrego Springs, CA) and have always been impressed with this truck.

It's about time for a new set of tires, the shocks are sloppy and show evidence of oil leaking, and my rear leaf springs have flattened out. Since I need to replace the suspension components and tires, it looks like a good time to throw a lift on the truck.

I wanted to throw a feeler out there and see what y'all have to say. I am looking for a 4" to 6" suspension lift. I am looking for a solid balance in looks, ride quality (primary vehicle), little to no decrease in hauling / towing capacity, and off-road performance.

If anyone has any advice to throw in on the subject, I am interested to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!!

2. Nov 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Welcome to the forum!

Do some digging around in the "Suspension and Lifts" section. There are a lot of opinions on what is the best lift out there. A big question is how much do you want to spend?

3. Nov 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    TacomaT

TacomaT [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    I am looking in the neighborhood between $3-4k for everything. I want something quality, but no reason to go overboard. The Tacoma is very capable off road as is for what I use it for. I just want to make sure I am getting something that isn't going to cause continual problems.

After looking around a bit, 3" of lift is all I am really going to go for.

4. Nov 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Wow for $3-4K you can get a nice Icon mid travel setup if you do the work yourself. Or you can go for a OME kit and still have money left over for wheels and tires.

5. Nov 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Does that price include tires & are you installing yourself ?

6. Nov 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    I heart spacers.

7. Nov 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    The best overall for looks and performance would be sticking with a 3" lift. And with your budget you could go with some nice stuff. At 6" you're really only going for looks as it would have to be a drop bracket and you're gonna lose some ground clearance up front.

8. Nov 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    For your stated purpose, and the money you've got to spend, you could go with old man emu setup with the Dakar leafs, light racing upper control arms, wheels, tires, installation, and still have a little money left over.

Old Man Emu setup isn't for everyone, but it sounds right for how you say you use your truck.

9. Nov 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    I say 3" lift. To get the same amount of clearance with a more "usable" lift. A mid travel setup is great. Icon, king, walker Evans, blah blah.... Now for looks a 6" looks great but very high and less "usable" than a 3". The drop bracket gets in the way and is more than likely has a spacer involved. I have about 1600 in my lift and am very happy with ride and performance!

Products Discussed in

To Top