1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What can I pull with this 1st gen Taco?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Rod in Forfar, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Dec 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    Rod in Forfar

Rod in Forfar [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '02 2.7 reg. cab. 4X4
    My son borrowed my '02 regular cab, 2.7 4X4 5 speed Tacoma to make a seven-hour run to New Jersey to pick up an aluminum trailer for his Porsche 968.

Last night he happily emailed that the Taco pulled the empty trailer fine on the highway at normal cruising speeds up to 80 mph.

The brochure on the trailer lists it at 845 pounds, though with a wind deflector, tool box and tire rack it no doubt weighs more than that and pushes a lot of wind.

Now comes the question: is it worth hooking up a controller for the electric brakes and trying the Taco on it as a tow vehicle? The 968 weighs about 3300 pounds, so the overall weight would be well above the 3500 pound rating for the truck. But I never understood why the same truck with a V6 would have a 5000 pound rating. Is it just an engine thing?

I do have another tandem flat-bed I use for my Ranger, lumber and machinery. The truck handles it all well except for the massive sail of the Ranger. Most times it's 4th gear only if the windshield is installed. A Porsche is a lot slipperier than a Polaris Ranger, though.

Thanks,

Rod in Forfar, Ontario, Canada

Products Discussed in

To Top