Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Looking for Tacoma knowledge! new to this..

Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
LKtacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
LKtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for Tacoma knowledge! new to this..

Hey guys so i was told today that for my 17th birthday in June i was going to receive a Tacoma for my first car which is what led me here! I'm basically here to learn about the car so when i get it I am not clueless, And eventually build it up! Thanks Merry Christmas.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I guess it all depends on what ya get.. 4cl-v6? Reg Cab-Double Cab? 2wd-4x4? Sr5-TRD?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Lucky you! Take good care of it and it will take good care of you
Let us know what you are getting and we can tell you more about it
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously, take care of it, don't bash it or over-lift it... The truck (not car) can last you most of your life and that will save you thousands of dollars you can use for other things, like rent, food, etc.

Let us know what model Tacoma you are getting and if it is a 2WD or 4WD.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
i was planning on 4wd cuz im going to University of Oregon and heard it actually rains there unlike socal so i kinda wanted to have some fun off roading... my friend owns an 4runner and suggested the SR5 trd
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKtacoma View Post
i was planning on 4wd cuz im going to University of Oregon and heard it actually rains there unlike socal so i kinda wanted to have some fun off roading... my friend owns an 4runner and suggested the SR5 trd
That would be a good way to go, an access cab would be a good bet for you, are we talking new or used?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
First, welcome to TW!
Do you know any of the basic info about your specific truck yet?
Ex: Mine is a 1996 Tacoma Xtracab (2WD, green, 2.4 L, automatic.)
Or is that all still a surprise?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys so i was told today that for my 17th birthday in June i was going to receive a Tacoma for my first car which is what led me here! I'm basically here to learn about the car so when i get it I am not clueless, And eventually build it up! Thanks Merry Christmas.
What's the budget?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to tw!!! Somewhere out there, there's a perfect tacoma for you. Maybe build your own on the Toyota website to get some ideas
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
acdronin i was thinking the access cab used i like the 2003 and fenwick ya pretty much my friend has been helping me out on teaching me all that stuff, Bret its about 15 grand and looking around locally it seems to be enough money to get what i want.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All TRDs are SR5s.... so you want an Off Road TRD which is the only model with a rear locking differential and A-Trac for low range crawling and climbing right from the showroom floor, no expensive mods needed. The Sport TRD has only appearance additions to an SR5 such as a fake hood scoop and color matched bumper and trim. Both TRDs do have Bilstein shocks.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #12

David K's Tacoma Gallery
If a 2003 then there is only the Off Road TRD with a locker. Enjoy!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
All TRDs are SR5s.... so you want an Off Road TRD which is the only model with a rear locking differential and A-Trac for low range crawling and climbing right from the showroom floor, no expensive mods needed. The Sport TRD has only appearance additions to an SR5 such as a fake hood scoop and color matched bumper and trim. Both TRDs do have Bilstein shocks.
so basically look out for that TRD decal when buying right and it will have all those things?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Not entirely true... Pre2008 TRD Sports also have a mechanical limited slip. The TRD Sport's interior is different from the SR5, it has the bed outlet and a thicker front sway bar.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #17

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so basically look out for that TRD decal when buying right and it will have all those things?
Not for sure because a used car lot or seller might add the sticker or a true TRD may have removed the sticker. Look for a RR Diff Lock button or the locker on top of the diff.

Also my first reply was for new truck models. As mentioned 2005 to 2008 Sports had a mechcanical limited slip.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
haha alright thanks man
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, young man, from another SoCal dude.