1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yo Yo!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Slikk, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Dec 18, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    Slikk

Slikk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4 Off Road
    Hello Ladies and Gents. i am happy new owner of a 2013 Tacoma 4X4. I am new the the truck and 4 wheeling scene so i figure i would sign up and get to know what other Tacoma owners are like.

I am really trying hard not to do any mods. I have been reading the forums for the past couple of days and the temptation is strong.

I have a turbo charged Scion tC making ~360hp 326tq @ wheels so i bought this truck to be my mod free daily driver..... and to go off roading :D

Cell Phone Pix. I will have some better pix later.
    Tacoma_zpsb56618eb_51d5de47d51ae1b678cfb5479f0e8b4d0d21639f.jpg

2. Dec 18, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Congrats and welcome.

3. Dec 18, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    Taco Chino

Taco Chino Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TacoChino
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Spruce Mica
    3'' RevTech Lift 285/70/17 Nittos Grapplers Body Armor Rock Sliders Besttop Camper
    Nice Truck!

4. Dec 18, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Welcome(agin lol) and you will do mods before long so you can off road better. lol.

5. Dec 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    thegreatwall23

thegreatwall23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Off Road
    Armor Shrockworks front bumber Shrockworks Rock Sliders Brute Force Rear Bumper XRC8 with synthetic rope Relentless Full Skid Pack Suspension Icons 2.5 extended travel all around with King 14" 700# Springs Icon Tubular UCA's All Pro Standard Leaf Pack 3 degree axle shims Wheelers front bumpstop U bolt flip kit Timbren rear bumpstop Mods rear diff breather fog light anytime ABS Disable TPMS disable Door Chime disable Seat Belt Chime Disable Cab Mount Chop Pinch Weld Mod BHLM Other 4.56 Nitro gears FX-R Retrofit HID's with Halos PIAA fogs and driving lights Wet Okole seat covers Weather-Tech floormats Access LiteRider bed cover AMP bed extender Viair 450P-A Rocky Clutch SD mounts Pop-n-lock tailgate lock Aux rear lights Rear sliding window security bar B.A.M.F Light Bar Ultragauge 48" Hi Lift Jack with Bed Rail Mount Bushwacker Fender Flares ECGS PTFE Bushing SS Brake Lines Brembo Blanks Hawk HPS In cab winch control (12voltguy) Tint
    Welcome from fellow Nashville owner.

6. Dec 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    Welcome Yo....enjoy the site!

7. Dec 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Welcome
    [​IMG]

8. Dec 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Welcome aboard! :wave:

9. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    Welcome

10. Dec 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    Slikk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4 Off Road
    Thanks for the warn welcome

11. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The truck will amaze you, I am sure (or I hope)... Looks like it is an Off Road TRD 4x4?

You can go nearly anywhere you dare try... 4 wheel drive, Trac limited slip, rear locker, & A-TRAC!

The only mod that you seriously should perform is the rear differential breather mod (see link in my signature, below) should you ever cross water over a foot and a half deep. Un like the front differential (which has a breather up high near the battery), the rear differential just has an exhaust vent on top of the differential that doesn't breath (to break a vacuum, created when you drive into cool water). It is cheap to do, and rewarding to complete...

The first change might be the tires... they are the weak spot and by 20,000 miles will be prone to flats as well as poor traction in mud and snow.

Next, off road lights will add some character to your truck, and if you do any night off roading, help you turn the night into day!

Enjoy your Tacoma... and don't hesitate to ask!

12. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    Slikk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4 Off Road
    I can see you that you are going to be a bad influence.. lol. Thanks for the tips.

it's the TRD Off Road TRD 4x4with all the fancy acronyms and button that i will need PHD to figure out.

13. Dec 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    No worries... it really is simple for nearly all conditions:

2WD: Do nothing, standard TRAC mode is fine for 99% of driving. If you need help moving from a stop/ park because one tire is spinning, you can press the VSC button quickly for 'AUTO LSD' (a firmer/ stronger limited slip). The VSC button is the one with skidding lines under the car image.

4WD-HIGH: Do nothing... However, we are not sure of a possible change in 2012 that was rumored to add AUTO LSD to 4WD-HIGH, and making TRAC in H4 the same as it is in H2 (light limited slip). In my truck, TRAC in H4 is the same as AUTO LSD in H2 (strong limited slip)... and AUTO LSD only is a 2WD function.

If you don't want traction control in H4 or H2 (to allow tire spin): Stop the truck, press and hold in the VSC button for several second until the indicator lights come on.

4WD-LOW: Here is the only mode where you should press anything for better traction, for sure... Press the A-TRAC button, and anytime you go into L4, you will have optimum traction on all 4 tires. It only comes on when you have a tire loose traction and spin... A-TRAC applies brake pressure to that tire to 'lock' its rotation to the other tire on that axle... It makes some strange noises, but don't worry! Once the button is pressed, it is automatic and on standby every time you go into low range. Only turn it off if you think spinning your tires will help.

The Rear Locker is not as easy to engage, often takes a couple of tries... Toyota recommends it only be used when all else fails to move you up or through an obstacle. I find A-TRAC takes me everywhere my previous two Tacomas went using the rear locker.

Much more detail in my thread on the traction controls (linked in my signature)...

Products Discussed in

To Top