1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Reg Cab Noob - Lift or no?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by RofLox, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    RofLox

RofLox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2012 RegCab 4x4 Manual Stock
    WeatherTec fm's. Camo Seat Covers.
    Hi All, I am just getting started but was wondering about the pro's and cons re lifting my taco. 2012 Reg w 4x4 manual.

Love the lifted look and do occasionally off road hunting and fishing. Mostly a daily driver and light pick up duty.

Your experiences with upside and downside of lifting appreciated.

2012Taco.jpg

2. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Welcome and it's YOUR truck, do what you like/want to it.

3. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    btipsword

btipsword Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    12' Reg. Cab 4x4
    Billys at 1.75,1" Block in rear for now,16x8 Pro Comp 7089,265/75/16 Duratracs,Aftermarket Tow Hitch, Tint 30% front 2 15% rear
    I too have a 2012 reg. cab manual 4x4. I didn't really go all out with "lifting" but I went with Bilsteins in the front with the stock springs set at 1.75 and a 1" block in the rear and it looks really tough to me... I didn't really notice any major change in ride quality; the front end actually improved with the shocks, the rear is a little bouncey now, but nothing that even remotely bothers me.

4. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    05taco2.7

05taco2.7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIMSTER
    omaha nebraska
    Soon to come
    i have billie 5100s on stock coil in front and toytec aal in the rear... could not be happier with the results.

give a nice ride(a lil stiffer but not much) and im able to haul more in the back without bottoming out.

all and all i got roughly 2.5" of lift and still maintained a little rake ( about inch taller in the rear

i love the lifted look of my truck. and it really performs well off road too

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    RofLox

RofLox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for feedback. I know it is my truck to do with as I want;). I have read some about bilsteins vs toytec and AAL etc. I know how to lift it or am at least somewhat familiar with the options for doing so.

I am more interested in the after experience. I have read about vibrations and rubbing and loss of power (assuming wheel and tire size increase) and other downsides. I like the way it rides now although it is kinda mushy front and rear.

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    03tacoman

03tacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2003 Sr5 v6 Ext Cab
    I am also new to the lift scene I have looked on toytec's website and they have a set of bilstein 5100 shocks it's all four, i'm assuming the two for the front are the adjustable ones and then the back ones you just slap in but need something else to raise the leaf springs correct? either shackles, AAL, or blocks? I was thinking about doing the wheelers AAL or toytec. I read that the longer the AAL the less stiff. thanks a lot

7. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    RofLox

RofLox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    My local truck outfitter is trying to steer me towards just R/C 745 N2 spacer kit up front. Anyone know if this is a good or bad way to go?

8. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Do NOT go with spacers! I used to have spacers up front for 3" lift. HARSH and BAD ride. Now I run Ligh Racing UCA's, OME 885, Bilstein 5100's set at .85 and AAL in the rear paired with Bilstein 5100's. Ride is great, little stiff but I love it, with the LR UCA's I was able to get alignment perfect!

If you want to level your truck, Do 5100's all around and set front at 1.75. If you lift it more you WILL NEED UCA's.

9. Jan 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    RofLox

RofLox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Red. If I do billies and set front @ 1.75 will I need aal? Will the back end still be mushy without aal? Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top