Notices

I'm new and I need help with a horrible engine start up noise

Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
o4Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Field artillary, pershing missiles
Name: Mike
o4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm new and I need help with a horrible engine start up noise

I bought a used 2004 Tacoma about 3 months ago. I love it but, it had/has some issues. I had to replace the shocks, replace some bulbs in the instrument panel, fix the CD player eject button, change the tumblers in the door locks (and the ignition cylinder), fix the after-market alarm, replace the windshield wipers, change the wheels, and I still need to fix the AC/heater control box. But my next thing is to fix is the horrible start-up noise that I think may be one of the belts.

I posted a video on YouTube of the start-up noise coming from the engine at...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKLAtrScDok

My plan is to fix all of the issues with this truck and then sell it in the Spring so I can upgrade to a 4-door Tacoma (will also be selling my 2008 Suzuki DL 650 to raise cash).
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Matrix
12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
12Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a loose belt.

12Tac
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
mitzu is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: mike
mitzu's Tacoma Gallery
Oh shit, the motor is toast!!!
or maybe its a loose belt
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
o4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The belts all appear not to be loose.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
o4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It will be toast after it is run into the ground...sometime in the next 200,000 miles.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Ferntucky, NV
Could be the fan clutch or a bearing (water pump, AC, PS, idler)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
o4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Why does the noise suddenly stop when the "fan" starts?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4Taco View Post
Why does the noise suddenly stop when the "fan" starts?
Fan clutch.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
o4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
So, does the fan clutch disengage after the truck gets started?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Longtime Toyman

Thermal and/or centrifical activated to reduce drag on engine.
You should be able to turn the fan when engine is not running.
If it only makes the squeel until the fan sterts spinning it sounds like it's the fan clutch & is easy to replace. Remove radiator shroud & unbolt from shaft. Start the engine & if you have no noise you found the problem.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
o4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
When I turn the radiator with the engine off I do not hear any noise.
But I discovered something else that is odd...
Shouldn't the alternator turn when the engine is running? I can see the copper coils on the alternator and they are not turning when the engine is running. Are the copper coils on the alternator suppose to be visibly turning when the engine is running? If so, could this be the reason for the noise?
I posted another video on youtube showing the engine running but the alternator coils are not visibly spinning. See...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKCgD...ature=youtu.be

The alternator belt turns but the alternator does not.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4Taco View Post
The alternator belt turns but the alternator does not.
Can you see the alternator pulley turning?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
o4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The alternator pulley does turn. Another guy informed me that the internal core turns and the external coils remain stationery.

I tightened the alternator belt a little and when I started the engine there was no squeaky noise, so it must have been the alternator belt.

Thank you very much for the help!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
The stator is the coils that you see, they are fixed. The rotor is inside the stator and turns.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
Longtime Toyman

Glad you got the problem fixed.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
o4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, now I remember, since I changed the stator on my 2008 Suzuki DL650 a few months ago.
Thanks.