1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member From Colorado Springs

Discussion in 'New Members' started by CircuitBreaker, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jan 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    CircuitBreaker

CircuitBreaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    Greetings to all...

I'm not really new to the Toyota Tacoma, but I am to this forum. Here's my story:

I grew up in San Diego, CA and loved going out to the desert with friends. I got my first 4WD vehicle in 1990 and it was a new Mazda B2600i truck. It was just a basic truck with 4WD, but it had skid plates up front, under the transfer case and the fuel tank. I have to say - it was actually a really good vehicle and I learned quite a bit about off road driving with it. In 1998, I was in the market for a new truck and I spent quite a bit of time doing research. I liked Toyota trucks but I found I could get far more for my money getting something else and I settled on a fully loaded Ford Ranger Extra Cab. In 2003, we ended up in Tampa, FL where we spent almost six years. In 2005 we had our first child and I decided that an extra cab wasn't going to cut it. I needed something with a full four doors. To get that with Ford would mean getting the Explorer Sport Trac and I didn't like it. So, in 2007 I finally took the plunge and got a Tacoma Double Cab SR5 4WD. That truck served me well, although it didn't have all the features I wanted but my selection in FL was limited when it came to 4WD trucks. In 2009 we moved to Colorado Springs for my wife's job. It took me two years before I found full time work and then it was 45 miles away in Pueblo. So, I got stupid and ditched the Tacoma for something far easier on the gas. In this case, it was a 2012 Honda Civic. My weekly fuel bill dropped from $100 a week to just $40. However, almost a year later, I found a full time job closer to home - less than five miles away actually. So, now, here I am regretting the decision I made. I miss being able to go up Gold Camp Rd up to Cripple Creek. This is an an old railroad bed complete with some tunnels leftover from the gold rush. The tracks were removed long ago. I'm also a member of the Cheyenne Mountain Repeater Group and we maintain multiple radio repeaters on multiple mountain peaks. I miss being able to drive myself to these locations. I've also had several incidents in the last couple of months that required a truck and I had to borrow my brother in law's Dodge Ram. So, I've found myself looking at a 2013 Tacoma Double Cab TRD. I started out looking at some used 4Runners and Tacomas but they're either beat up or don't cost that much less than a brand new one so I opted to go new. I'm supposed to take delivery Saturday morning. I test drove it last night...can't wait.

2. Jan 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck!

3. Jan 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey CB, welcome! Where do you work at? I'm a USAF retiree working at Peterson. I've been up Gold Camp once. I need to get out and do it more.

Where did you buy your truck? I got my 2009 DCSB Sport brand new at Larry H Miller Liberty. They tried to fook me on the price but I got what I wanted in the end.

I go there for all my service since it's closest to my house but have 2 complaints:
    1. Their couches suck ballz
    2. They ALWAYS survey me later asking how the service was.

Ken

4. Jan 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    CircuitBreaker

CircuitBreaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    I work in IT for Peak Vista Community Health Centers. The wife works for the county. I'm getting my new Tacoma from Larry H Miller Toyota of Colorado Springs down in Motor City. I think I got a good deal on the truck. I kind of wanted to have the nav unit installed but they wanted another $1800 for that w/o sat radio or $2400 with. Screw that. I can get an after market unit and speakers for less than that. In fact, I kept the Kenwood DNX9980 nav unit from the previous Tacoma thinking I would have it installed in the Civic but never did. So, I think I'll have it put in this Tacoma and get some good speakers at a later date. I also need to work on getting my other radios installed (amateur radio).

Products Discussed in

To Top