1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another New Guy from San Diego

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Pilot Jim, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    Pilot Jim

Pilot Jim [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4WD SR5 TRD Offroad
    Custom 4 leaf rear spring pack
    Hi,
    I just took delivery of a new 2013 V6 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD. My old one, a 1999 X-Cab 4WD was in the family 14 years and 160,000 trouble-free miles. Advancing age (I'm 69) pushed me into a Four Wheel Camper Eagle as my body can't take camping in a tent anymore.

The Eagle was mounted on the '99 for 10 months. The upgraded leaf spring pack handled the weight ok (900 pounds) however the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder didn't have enough torque to move the load safely up freeway hills or I would have kept it.

Retired now I use the truck mostly in the desert - Death Valley, Mojave, Anza Borrego, Nevada and Arizona exploring ghost towns and mine out buildings.

Most of my posts are on 'wander the west' website under 'RC Pilot Jim'. The stock tires that come with the TRD offroad package are BFGoodrich 'Rugged Trail T/A's P265's ("P" for passenger) not suitable for my application as I need a more aggressive tread in a "D" rated tire for the extra weight. I have been running Desert Duelers on my 1999

Hankook RF10's "D" rated were recommended for my application. Researching tires led me to 'Tacoma World' and it looks like a good site to research all things Toyota. :)

2. Feb 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG] Welcome to TW [​IMG] from Ferntucky, NV
    We like to check out the old mines & ghost towns also.
    Let us know if you're in our area.
    If you're looking to lift it the OME Dakars & AAL could handle the weight.

3. Feb 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    Pilot Jim

Pilot Jim [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4WD SR5 TRD Offroad
    Custom 4 leaf rear spring pack
    Thanks Randy. I will probably leave it at the stock height as most of my "wheelin" happens on "easy" to "moderate" trails. I stay away from trails that result in trips to the body shop afterwards.

I was surprised that Goler wash/ Mengel Pass in Death Valley is rated "Difficult" as I have done that trail with my brother (he has a 4WD GMC Yukon) many times over the years. Though that trail can be good to "awful" depending on the amount of rain that area gets in the summer time.

Products Discussed in

To Top