1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member looking for lift advice

Discussion in 'New Members' started by JjaysTacoma, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    JjaysTacoma

JjaysTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NC
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    I just bought my Tacoma about a year ago and now that it's broken in a bit I was looking to put a small lift on it. I had a Jeep with a 3 inch lift and had to do a lot of collateral work to get the ride quality back afterwards. I was thinking about a 2 inch lift for the Tacoma, would there be much additional work as far as extending brake lines, dropping the transfer case etc.? Also, what brand lift does anyone recommend?

2. Feb 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    There's a lot of different ways to go, really depends on what your going to use the truck for and how fat is your wallet.

I was on a semi tight budget (around $750) and went with Billys 5100's, toytec/eibach springs, and a leaf pack it the rear. 2 1/2" lift.

Ride quality is as good as stock or better.

3. Feb 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I just put 5100's on mine, set the front at 1.75 with the rear leaf tsb (aal) which didn't require any brake line modifications or diff. drop. Seems to be a very popular option on TW as you will learn as you read up in here.

The front gave me about what it is called, 1 3/4" and the rear was raised about 3/4" thus making it pretty close to level. The fronts can go up to 2.5 but some have issues with the control arms and I understand it will ride rough if you use the stock coils which I'm doing. Mine rides pretty close to stock. I was worried it would ride too harsh but I'm quite pleased.

You can pick up a set from http://downsouthmotorsports.com/ for $299 shipped as a TW member, which should be the cheapest you'll find on them if this is the route you want to go.

Spend some time reading up on here and you'll figure out whats best for you.

4. Feb 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    JjaysTacoma

JjaysTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NC
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    Thanks guys. I have been looking at the 5100's and I think that's going to be the best option for me right now. I'm more so just trying to get a little more clearence not necessarily for off roading or anything to much.

5. Feb 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    Longo118

Longo118 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4
    -OME Lift w/ Dakar leafs -Wheels + Tires -All Pro IFS skid -4xInnovations Sliders -Tool box, hi-lift, shovel mount and a few others
    I originally wanted a 2.5 inch lift also, I have an OME lift that I installed with a few of my buddies and it sits at just under 3 inches (I have a 4cyl Access Cab). I absolutely love the way the truck looks and the ride quality. I would honestly say the ride is 10x better than it was when it was stock. I did not do extended brake lines, UCA, or the driveshaft spacers. The only thing I did install was the 10mm trim packer on the driver side to lessen the effect of the Taco lean. If you can spare the money I highly recommend the OME kit.

Products Discussed in

To Top