1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Never "get rid" of your Tacoma!!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TimmyTacoma, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    TimmyTacoma

TimmyTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    South Shore Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 4X4 4cyl. 5spd. Access cab
    Pack of Big Red gum in console.
    In 1994, I traded in my fun but unreliable 87 Jeep Wrangler for a new 4X4 4cyl. Toyota pick up truck with a manual transmission, manual locking hubs and not much else. No ex cab or A.C. The price was around $12,000.

"Real Men" (my friends) called it a Toy truck and a coffin. I called it a smart purchase. They all really liked it though for its efficiency, reliability and fuel economy.

That was traded up for a new 98 Tacoma ex. cab also a 4X4 4 cyl. w/ manual 5 speed and manual locking hubs.

Then that was traded up for a new 05 double cab Tacoma TRD Off Road w/auto transmission and then replaced with an 09 double cab TRD Off Road w/auto trans.

Then I lost my mind!!!!! I thought I wanted to save the planet and my money and get 40 mpg while doing it soooooooo I traded in my Tacoma for a new 2012 Hyundai Elantra!!!!!! and although this little car was nice (it had everything, leather heated seats front and rear, push button start, moonroof, navigation, nice wheels and lots more) I regretted leaving my Tacoma behind. I was useless without it. I couldn't even get peice of plywood if I needed to. And the Elantra was too delicate for me. I rubbed the curb and scratched the 17" rim and gouged the tire the first week.

Then a 2011 Tacoma 4X4 access cab 4 cyl. w/ manual trans. became available to me by way of an estate sale and I jumped on it. It had 1,925 miles on it and was clean. The older man (a family friend) who bought it after his retirement got ill and didn't get to use it much at all.
    I figured I would use it as a second vehicle but instead ended up driving it all the time.
    I Sold the Hyundai and now am back to being a Toyota guy again. I miss my double cab TRD Off Road and automatic transmission the most and will get one again, with navigation (I think that's $35,000 now), but I'm happy with this for now. Especially since we had a raging blizzard here last night and today with 2 feet of snow and horrifying winds.

The Moral of the story is, Never "get rid" of your Tacoma!!! Unless it's to get a new Tacoma.

2. Feb 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    i concur! in 07 i bought a 08 xrunner. before then, all i had was dropped cars, so the truck served irs purpose as being sporty and utility. in 2011 i ended up getting swept up in the turbo fad cause my friends all had turbo cars. i got a brand new sti. finally my dream car, this was it. the car was fast especially at stage 2, it was a hatch so it had some utility, and it had the subie rumble >=). to no discredit to subaru, as tkme went on i started to miss my tacoma more and more. i dont know what it was but i ended up going back LOL. ended up getting a 2013 trd off road with all the goodies. its weird too cause even though the sti was a car i always wanted...i dont miss it at all LOL.

3. Feb 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    TimmyTacoma

TimmyTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    South Shore Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 4X4 4cyl. 5spd. Access cab
    Pack of Big Red gum in console.
    Nice! Enjoy the new Tacoma.
    Other things I miss are the V6 and the extra storage behind the rear seats in the double cab. I think I'll trade up to another TRD Off Road double cab soon while this one still has low miles and good value. I always loved having a manual but I'm a lazy old man now.

4. Feb 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Welcome. Good to hear you are back in a Tacoma!

5. Feb 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I've done the same thing, but with a yukon denali and I still missed my tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top