1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Won't start...do i have the right checklist?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mathlete, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    mathlete

mathlete [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    98 Prerunner V6 TRD
    Hi, This is my intro :The truck is a 98 Tacoma Prerunner TRD V6 xtra cab 155k.

This is where the problems begin.
    In August I purchased a newer vehicle so the Taco has been neglected. I start it up once in a while for random errands but it has not been my daily driver since Aug. (may have something to do with the problem?)
    Tuesday morning I went in to start it and the battery was low and the cranking was super slow. It was early in the AM so I did not jump start it until the afternoon when I got off work...Hooked it all up and noticed that there was no "ding" with the key in accessory. Checked fuses under the hood and saw that the 80 amp fuse was blown. (How did I do that? Too much cranking?) Replaced the 80, put jumpers on and the cranking sounded better (the "ding" is back! yay) but the engine would not catch on. The starter would turn the engine at a good speed but it would not catch on. What is the deal? Feel free to call me out on being an idiot but, I just dont know...what should I do next? I would like to address the simplest/cheapest things first as my mechanical experience just doubled this weekend when I put the fuse back in. And sorry, I tried to do my due diligence by searching the forum but I dont know what comes next. Also, I would rather just grow a pair, put a wrench in my hand and learn about my vehicle instead of taking it to someone for every little thing. Thanks in advance!

1: even if my battery is dead, I should be able to start it with jumpers right?
    2: is there another fuse that I can replace/test?
    3: after fuses, do I look at putting in new coils/plugs? (i read the DIY...I think I can handle it but i'd rather do another fuse job)
    4: MAF or other sensor problem (MAF is expensive right? lets do that later...)

Am I thinking in the right direction? please help

2. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Try another known good battery, first. Check INJ fuse(s). For shits and giggles I'd find another Ignition Control Module. Make sure any ground wires are not corroded off.

3. Feb 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Ferntucky, NV[​IMG]

4. Feb 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    Jlang

Jlang New Member

Member:
    Weott California
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma, DLX 2.7 L4
    Flowmaster exhaust, 3 inch suspension lift, k&n cold air intake, diamond eye straight pipe exhaust, rancho suspension,
    Maybe look and see if your distributed cap has corrosion, I had the same problem with my 86

5. Feb 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    mathlete

mathlete [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    98 Prerunner V6 TRD
    Good call Steves104X4! I went back and checked the fuses again and the EFI fuse (i'm pretty sure that is what you meant by inj fuse) was indeed blown. I dont know how I missed it the first time. Either way, I have a new battery, plugs and a sweet purrin' taco.

Products Discussed in

To Top