Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Broken Leaf springs am I alone?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
DOND08Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Donald
DOND08Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Broken Leaf springs am I alone?

I am 45 and on my 4th Toyota truck. On my last 2000 toy ex cab I went threw 3 broken leafs.The dealer said I over loaded it. Never put load in bed.,(may have let a couple go up in cab to break it in if you know what I mean) until I finally replaced both sets & sides myself. Never had any problems with them again. Was a real bitch getting apart!!! Because of the frame rust I had to give up this truck. Which brings me to this point. I bought another 2008 Tacoma double cab because over all.... they been really dependable and the money & discounts Toyota gave me towards buying new, I couldn't pass it up. But now my 2008 has a broken leaf spring. Mostly 99% highway miles. Of course Toyota dealer said out of warranty and too many miles. But service mgr. Said if I would have serviced the vehicle there they could of probably helped. Yeah right! ... So I call Toyota main number tell lady my problem she says same shit too many miles too old. I ask her since I been a life time owner doesn't that mean anything? She said they only have record of me owning one truck the 2008.How convenient? They bought the 2000 back off me b/c frame rust..... but no record of me owning it? How do they loose all records of me owning Toyota's? I always traded my old in at Toyota dealer for new truck. HOW CAN WE START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? Let's do this!!!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Well how do you use your truck I mean seriously a leaf pack should not break unless you intentionally break it or heavily abuse it
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Should not break under normal use...

However should not does not mean cannot.

Leaf springs break with every make and model out there. They're few and far between, just sounds like you've had some bad luck.

My suggestion is to buy Wheelers stock height leaf packs and call it a day.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Winterpeg is on a distinguished road
Winterpeg's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2008 Taco and the leaf springs went recently. The rear right actually broke and severed the right break cable. So the "stealer-ship" quoted me $1900 to replace the leaves and the cable. I'm not using their service to say the least. But here is the kicker. I've NEVER carried a big load or done heavy off roading. PISSED OFF. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
walleyeman is on a distinguished road
Name: louie
walleyeman's Tacoma Gallery
Hello. I have a 2006 tacoma double cad trd. I replaced one spring in feb and then had to replace another on the passenger side in april.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Kcourtad is on a distinguished road
Kcourtad's Tacoma Gallery
Just got a 07 last weekend and took it in for service and right back leaf spring is broken. Just glad I don't have to pay for it
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Hell, I got my stock leafs with a 1.5" AAL from Wheeler's in 'em. Got about 20,000 miles on 'em, but still plenty of life left.

Fastenal is about $100 to ship 'em to most places, and I'd let 'em go for $150. $250 gets you two complete spare leaf springs (with add a leafs to boot) at your door. Lemme know if you're interested.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOND08Tacoma View Post
I am 45 and on my 4th Toyota truck. On my last 2000 toy ex cab I went threw 3 broken leafs.The dealer said I over loaded it. Never put load in bed.,(may have let a couple go up in cab to break it in if you know what I mean) until I finally replaced both sets & sides myself. Never had any problems with them again. Was a real bitch getting apart!!! Because of the frame rust I had to give up this truck. Which brings me to this point. I bought another 2008 Tacoma double cab because over all.... they been really dependable and the money & discounts Toyota gave me towards buying new, I couldn't pass it up. But now my 2008 has a broken leaf spring. Mostly 99% highway miles. Of course Toyota dealer said out of warranty and too many miles. But service mgr. Said if I would have serviced the vehicle there they could of probably helped. Yeah right! ... So I call Toyota main number tell lady my problem she says same shit too many miles too old. I ask her since I been a life time owner doesn't that mean anything? She said they only have record of me owning one truck the 2008.How convenient? They bought the 2000 back off me b/c frame rust..... but no record of me owning it? How do they loose all records of me owning Toyota's? I always traded my old in at Toyota dealer for new truck. HOW CAN WE START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? Let's do this!!!!!
Pictures or it didn't happen. Both for educational value (where did the crack start) and to show you aren't trolling.

And in case you are serious, a class-action lawsuit for something of this nature will typically drag on 2-3 years, ending with the class lawyers getting all legal fees paid by Toyota, while you get your leaf spring warranty extended from 3 years to 6 years...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Oh look, another member with an obscure problem, no pics and wants to start a class action.

Troll seasons in full swing.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Troll seasons in full swing.

The weather is getting warmer...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
And while rare, there have been cases where the manufacturer won the lawsuit and proceeds to countersue the entire class. Toyota likely won't do something this drastic due to the bad publicity it would generate, but it is possible. Remember you are suing one of the richest companies on the planet...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
My driver side top leaf spring broke between the front c-clamp holding the top 2 leafs and the axel. I've never carried anything heavy,,, or anything at all! I was driving home on a paved road and snap. It was late at night and I couldn't find what had happen. I drove home very very slowly. Upon inspection I found the damage. If it weren't for that c-clamp my axel would have moved and disaster. Another member here, 05TacoRunner, sold me a pair with the TSB. Thank goodness for this forum and good people to help out.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 1984 4Runner that I used for serious off-roading (Rubicon, etc), and broke 2 leaves in 15 years. It does happen, but rarely. That old 4Runner was built entirely IN JAPAN. The doors opened and closed like new the day I finally sold it. Quality-built in those days. I think that the Toyota-USA suppliers nowadays are not the best, but the cheapest.

Breaking leaves is annoying, but not real costly. At least it wasn't a transmission or crank shaft. Luckily, springs are easily replaced for just a few hundred bucks. I'd replace the entire pack with one of the many aftermarket packs to choose from.