1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Leaf springs am I alone?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by DOND08Tacoma, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mar 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    DOND08Tacoma

DOND08Tacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Belle Vernon pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Toyota tacoma 2008 sport crew cab
    Used guard rail to make adjustments to my rear bumper & tail light in pa. snow. Put new rear tires on same day!!!! LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY
    I am 45 and on my 4th Toyota truck. On my last 2000 toy ex cab I went threw 3 broken leafs.The dealer said I over loaded it. Never put load in bed.,(may have let a couple go up in cab to break it in if you know what I mean) until I finally replaced both sets & sides myself. Never had any problems with them again. Was a real bitch getting apart!!! Because of the frame rust I had to give up this truck. Which brings me to this point. I bought another 2008 Tacoma double cab because over all.... they been really dependable and the money & discounts Toyota gave me towards buying new, I couldn't pass it up. But now my 2008 has a broken leaf spring. Mostly 99% highway miles. Of course Toyota dealer said out of warranty and too many miles. But service mgr. Said if I would have serviced the vehicle there they could of probably helped. Yeah right! ... So I call Toyota main number tell lady my problem she says same shit too many miles too old. I ask her since I been a life time owner doesn't that mean anything? She said they only have record of me owning one truck the 2008.How convenient? They bought the 2000 back off me b/c frame rust..... but no record of me owning it? How do they loose all records of me owning Toyota's? I always traded my old in at Toyota dealer for new truck. HOW CAN WE START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? Let's do this!!!!!

2. Mar 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Well how do you use your truck I mean seriously a leaf pack should not break unless you intentionally break it or heavily abuse it

3. Mar 8, 2013 at 1:03 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Should not break under normal use...

However should not does not mean cannot.

Leaf springs break with every make and model out there. They're few and far between, just sounds like you've had some bad luck.

My suggestion is to buy Wheelers stock height leaf packs and call it a day.

4. May 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Winterpeg

Winterpeg New Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    08 TRW
    I have a 2008 Taco and the leaf springs went recently. The rear right actually broke and severed the right break cable. So the "stealer-ship" quoted me $1900 to replace the leaves and the cable. I'm not using their service to say the least. But here is the kicker. I've NEVER carried a big load or done heavy off roading. PISSED OFF. Thanks for listening.

5. May 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    walleyeman

walleyeman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    louie
    Richmond hill,ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 trd sport
    Hello. I have a 2006 tacoma double cad trd. I replaced one spring in feb and then had to replace another on the passenger side in april.

6. May 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    Kcourtad

Kcourtad Active Member

Member:
    Carbondale PA
    Vehicle:
    6 Speed TRD Sport
    Stock
    Just got a 07 last weekend and took it in for service and right back leaf spring is broken. Just glad I don't have to pay for it

7. May 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Hell, I got my stock leafs with a 1.5" AAL from Wheeler's in 'em. Got about 20,000 miles on 'em, but still plenty of life left.

Fastenal is about $100 to ship 'em to most places, and I'd let 'em go for $150. $250 gets you two complete spare leaf springs (with add a leafs to boot) at your door. Lemme know if you're interested.

8. May 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Pictures or it didn't happen. Both for educational value (where did the crack start) and to show you aren't trolling.

And in case you are serious, a class-action lawsuit for something of this nature will typically drag on 2-3 years, ending with the class lawyers getting all legal fees paid by Toyota, while you get your leaf spring warranty extended from 3 years to 6 years...

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  9. May 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Oh look, another member with an obscure problem, no pics and wants to start a class action.

Troll seasons in full swing.

10. May 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

The weather is getting warmer...

11. May 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    And while rare, there have been cases where the manufacturer won the lawsuit and proceeds to countersue the entire class. Toyota likely won't do something this drastic due to the bad publicity it would generate, but it is possible. Remember you are suing one of the richest companies on the planet...

12. May 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    bajaracer

bajaracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charly
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    05 PRERUNNER DBLCAB SPORT 4.0
    AEM DRY BRUTE FORCE, FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES, 285/70/17 BFG'S AT KO2'S MOTO METALS 17X8 885's with 5100's LOUD STEREO
    My driver side top leaf spring broke between the front c-clamp holding the top 2 leafs and the axel. I've never carried anything heavy,,, or anything at all! I was driving home on a paved road and snap. It was late at night and I couldn't find what had happen. I drove home very very slowly. Upon inspection I found the damage. If it weren't for that c-clamp my axel would have moved and disaster. Another member here, 05TacoRunner, sold me a pair with the TSB. Thank goodness for this forum and good people to help out.

13. May 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I had a 1984 4Runner that I used for serious off-roading (Rubicon, etc), and broke 2 leaves in 15 years. It does happen, but rarely. That old 4Runner was built entirely IN JAPAN. The doors opened and closed like new the day I finally sold it. Quality-built in those days. I think that the Toyota-USA suppliers nowadays are not the best, but the cheapest.

Breaking leaves is annoying, but not real costly. At least it wasn't a transmission or crank shaft. Luckily, springs are easily replaced for just a few hundred bucks. I'd replace the entire pack with one of the many aftermarket packs to choose from.

Products Discussed in

To Top