Notices

New '13 TRDS DC owner, 3 or 6" lift?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
8down is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: CJ
8down's Tacoma Gallery
New '13 TRDS DC owner, 3 or 6" lift?

Just purchased my first Tacoma. 13 TRDS DC, black 4x4. Need advice on best, but reasonable lift kit and tire/wheel set. Thinking about 6" RC with 20" chrome badlands, 35" Toyota OC? Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
6" if you're a mall crawler, go with a good mid travel setup for the same ground clearance, more articulation, and slightly better fuel economy.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
RedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
RedDragonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Most people will tell you to do 3" but I wish I would have gone 6". Still can but now I can't get that past the wife
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Morto un papa, se ne fa un'altro
motorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: EOD TEU1, MU 8, BUD/s 225, MA 9545
Name: Jason
motorsport36's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of guys have 6 inch kits and they are not mall crawlers. Both kits are good. 6 inch looks great,but you can get the same or better performance from a solid 3 inch kit. Come on Red, lets give him an unbiased opinion. Facts!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
270wsm is just really nice270wsm is just really nice270wsm is just really nice270wsm is just really nice270wsm is just really nice

Marines:
270wsm's Tacoma Gallery
Hello CJ, Congrats on the new taco, Welcome ...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport36 View Post
Lots of guys have 6 inch kits and they are not mall crawlers. Both kits are good. 6 inch looks great,but you can get the same or better performance from a solid 3 inch kit. Come on Red, lets give him an unbiased opinion. Facts!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Fact... 6" is not for people who offroad hard due to lack of skid availability. It is for looks, not performance. It will make you roll in off camber situations. It will look cooler and have better approach, departure, and break over angles. Are heavy duty skids super important to you? If not you probably want a drop bracket lift.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
motorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Fact... 6" is not for people who offroad hard due to lack of skid availability. It is for looks, not performance. It will make you roll in off camber situations. It will look cooler and have better approach, departure, and break over angles. Are heavy duty skids super important to you? If not you probably want a drop bracket lift.
Fact. You have apparently never offroaded with a hard core 6 inch lift. Fact, the BDS I ordered has a skid plate. Fact, your facts are incorrect. You see, those are facts...not the so called statistical garbage you called facts. No one is saying you can/can't out Offroad a 6 inch with your 3 inch. No one called you out of said your kit was/is garbage. It's funny how the 6 inch lift guys can be humble and praise your attributes while we accept our own faults, yet you have to go into douche nozzle status on us. Way to represent or should I say misrepresent your peeps. The guy here is looking for advice, way to welcome him to the club in 5th gear of asshole mode.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
RECTIFIED
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
welcome 8down! after reading the first post, i would first ask the question what are you gunna be using the truck for? 20" chrome wheels IMO is not gunna be a good option for any sort of wheeling
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're right, apologies.

I did want to install a 6" but the lack of high quality skids and a very low hanging drop bracket didn't sit well with me.

There are a lot of people who wheel their 6" lifted trucks, but the consensus says if you want 35s on 20s you won't be wheeling hardcore.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #13

You don't have to run 20's on a 6 inch. I'll be running 315/75/16's. lots of guys run 17's. I agree with Stefen, ask yourself what your intentions are with your truck. Convey those intentions to us and we can give you a better option on which direction to go.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You don't have to run 20's on a 6 inch. I'll be running 315/75/16's. lots of guys run 17's. I agree with Stefen, ask yourself what your intentions are with your truck. Convey those intentions to us and we can give you a better option on which direction to go.
6" with 16s = looks so nice...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Having had both, and now re-doing my front kings. The 3" lift is my favorite. Flat belly skids, lower COG, the one time I hucked my truck off I ledge in a wash, would have ripped the the drop bracket off the truck. The 6" lift is awesome and the bds kit blows the competition out if the water with there fox shocks. Mate that to a custom spring pack and you have a guaranteed head tuner that won't have any problems on trails etc, the biggest difference I felt is how stable the truck feels now offroad vs how it used to be like 2 years ago.

6" lift wheeling through 3 feathers in Tucson, AZ

My 3" lift set-up flexed out when i decided to drive right over a switchback thingy
Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #16

^stud and my idol! Lol
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
6" n 35's