Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Ready for some upgrades

Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
hughesjrm is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Michael
hughesjrm's Tacoma Gallery
Surprisingly it was a lot easier than I thought. I should have taken some pictures as I went. The door panels are pretty easy to remove.

I found this link which can explain better than I can. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=143

My only recommendation would be to pick up some extra plastic clips that hold the panel to the door. I broke a few when I removed mine but they are cheap and easy to replace.

Tools and Material:
#2 Philip Screwdriver
Flathead Screwdriver
Scissors
Utility Knife/razor
Putty Knife
100 Grit Sand paper
Alcohol
Fabric
Super Glue
Spray Adhesive

1. Once you have the door panel removed you will have to unscrew the door handle from the back of the panel. Once the handle is removed you will have access to remove the fabric.

2. I used a small flat tip screw driver and inserted it in the groove at the edge of the fabric. I pulled the excess fabric out of the groove, and then slowly pulled it away from the panel. All mine pulled off very easy and didn't tear at all. Once removed sit the old fabric aside, because you will need to use it as a template when you cut your new material.

3. After you have removed the fabric, you will notice that the old foam and glue residue stayed on the panel. you will need to remove all of this for preparation for the new fabric. On my first door panel I took my time. I used a small putty knife to remove all of the foam, and then I used 100 grit sand paper (by hand) to remove the glue residue. After it was all sanded down I vacuumed the panel, and cleaned the insert area with alcohol.

Note: The neoprene fabric that our seat panels (Wet Okole) are made out of, is the perfect material to use. It has just the right thickness, stretches, and cuts easy.

4. Now take your old material that you removed from the panel, and lay it on your new fabric. Flatten it out as much as possible and pin in place at the edge. Now start cutting. Do not cut out the door handle hole yet.

5. Now that you have your new piece of material cut, you are ready to install. Lay your material over the insert. You will notice that it will over lap the groove by about 1/4". You will want to start at the area of the insert where there is no groove. I used super glue to adhere the fabric to the panel in this area. Allow five minutes to set

6. Once the super glue is set, you are ready to continue. I worked my way slowly around (left, right, and center). You will want to use a good spray adhesive (3M or Lock-tight). Spray a little on the right side and flatten the fabric to conform to the panel. Now take a flat tip screw driver and push the fabric into the groove. you should be able to push all of the excess material into the groove. Now do the same thing to the left side. Continue alternating right and left until you have made it all the way around. Note: Make sure you have good glue adhesion around the door handle cut out.

7. Allow the panel to sit for about ten minutes and the glue to set up. Now use a utility knife or a razor to cut out the door handle hole.

Your door panel is now complete and ready to be reinstalled. On the other three panels I felt comfortable enough to use an orbital sander, which made the project go a lot quicker. It took me about three hours to do all four doors.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
awesome! good write up too, I'll add this to my list of mods

Thanks OP

Products Discussed in this Thread