Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Will be pushing soon

Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
mkm is on a distinguished road

mkm's Tacoma Gallery
Will be pushing soon

Hello all, I am new to the site and a first time Toyota owner of a 2011 double cab TRD Tacoma. I purchased it from a private seller. It has a 6" Pro Comp suspension lift with Dick Cepek 35x12.50R20s mud tires. Needless to say the gas mileage is horrible. I was wondering what suggetstions yiou may have to help improve it. Smaller tire (all terrain) any chips that would work etc? I purchased a hard cover for the bed as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Take out that lift and put smaller tires on. That should bring it back up to about 16-18mpg if it's a v6 4x4.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Smaller tires and ditch the lift that will help your gas mileage otherwise there isnt much you can do there are not any chips that work. Taking it easy on the skinny pedal is the only thing that helps a little bit. Also be realistic with what you expect for gas mileage. When you say horrible what are you getting?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
DBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
DBWrecks's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Urd, uconn, apr

Nevermind......didn't notice ur worried about performance.

If ur not in the market for hp/tq stay far far away from urd
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

mkm's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

thought about taking the lift out but after a phone call to the company that put the lift on it could be $2000 to $3000 for this.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

mkm's Tacoma Gallery
Id love to get 16-18mph. I got 11.5 around town
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Removing a 6" lift ain't easy, or cheap. The factory cross member is cut and replaced, so needless to say, you'll have to replace it with a factory brace.

Chips wont do shit for it. Smaller tires, smaller lift, and light on the go-pedal.

My only advice to you is to do some more research next time before buying a truck with that kind of modification. Or at least expect it to get shitty gas mileage and be prepared for it.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm View Post
Id love to get 16-18mph. I got 11.5 around town
Something is wrong here....we have the same lift, same year/model truck & 35's....yet my worst mileage is 16.5mpg....I check it all the time. Highway riding .....keeping it under 60mph, I get high 17mpg. In town is 15 to 16's. Worse case ever was towing a 1500lb trailer & I still got 13 to 14.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #12

mkm's Tacoma Gallery
something is definitely wrong. I towed a trailor this past weekend/ probbaly the same wieght. I got 6mpg!!!! Any ideas where i can start?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
something is definitely wrong. I towed a trailor this past weekend/ probbaly the same wieght. I got 6mpg!!!! Any ideas where i can start?
Start simple.....you do know that your odometer is going to read incorrectly with the bigger tires. So if you are using that to figure gas mileage, it's gonna seem worse. I use a GPS app on a smartphone to get the "actual" milage in between gas fill ups.

Second, when I drive like a madman, the mileage drops big time (fast acceleration and higher speeds on the Interstate).....it's more in the range of mileage like you are showing.

Third, how many miles do you have? Could be time a new air filter/plugs.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #14
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
regear should help
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #15

mkm's Tacoma Gallery
29000 miles. i am a conservitive driver. not hard on it. How much would a regear cost?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #16

Quote:
29000 miles. i am a conservitive driver. not hard on it. How much would a regear cost?
Manwithoutaplan just did a regear & he has the same lift/tires as us.....send him a message......

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/member.php?u=4500
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How are you calculating this mileage? Do you do it for your other vehicles, what are they getting? Fuelly.com is a good way to keep up with your mileage.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #18

mkm's Tacoma Gallery
I fill the tank until i see fule at the top of the filler. drive X # of miles. Refill the same way and caculate. Does this seem correct?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Manwithoutaplan just did a regear & he has the same lift/tires as us.....send him a message......

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/member.php?u=4500
Op i get less MPG then i did before i regeared. But if you have a Auto it might be little better.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #20

Quote:
I fill the tank until i see fule at the top of the filler. drive X # of miles. Refill the same way and caculate. Does this seem correct?
...your odometer will not be reading the correct mileage with 35" tires. It will show less miles traveled for each tank......and when you calculate your MPG it will "appear" to be worse than it is.