1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why buy a Tacoma?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Farlertwin, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Farlertwin

Farlertwin [OP] Member

Member:
    I am looking at buying a 2013 Tacoma dcsb 4X4 with the V6 and regardless of the replies I will probably go for it anyway. I own a 1989 Toyota Pickup reg cab 4X4 with the 3.0 V6. It has been through hell and back and still runs. I am actually driving it right now because my wife's car got totalled in an accident and she doesn't want to drive that pickup. So she is driving my '07 G6 gt now.

My question is why buy a tacoma again? I love the reliability and rock solid build of my '89. But it was built 24 years ago. What are some honest, solid reasons for buying a new tacoma?

2. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I love mine... it is a 2010, so hopefully your new one will be just as good. I am on my third Tacoma... awesome trucks!

3. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    JpAdct

JpAdct Well-Known Member

Member:
    PB County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ExtCab
    Holds value like nothing else compairable. My 2012 TRD Off Road is uncomfortable to drive in my own opinion. However its my 5th 4wd Toyota and none have been comfortable, just a nature I've accepted. I'm still trying different options for padded seat covers because I love this truck. They do have quirks, but they are solid and resale is awesome if you should decide to upgrade down the road.

4. Apr 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Luke01

Luke01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCSB MGM lifted dented and armored
    Grillcraft Grill, Leer 100q top, 5100's on four corners, OME 885x up front, OME Dakars with add a leaf in rear, Lighting, a mix of Rigid and Chinese LED's, US Off Road hidden winch front bumper, SOS offroad conceprs skids, and rear bumper with swing out
    Sorry but all I am seeing is blah blah blah, re sale does not matter as he is going to keep the truck till it dies. You know why your going to buy a Tacoma already so there needs to be no logic to it. Its the same reason I have wanted on for about 10 years now

BECAUSE THEY ARE AWESOME!

Everything else is just noise and BS

Carry on with search for reaffirmation of a decision you have already made

5. Apr 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Why buy a Tacoma?

Because you'll get alot less Bullshit on a Tacoma forum than say.. showing up with a Nissan....:notsure:

welcome to TW.....

6. Apr 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    ^^^^^ LOL

7. Apr 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    JpAdct

JpAdct Well-Known Member

Member:
    PB County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ExtCab
    How about because of the awesome support you'll get from some of the other Tacoma owners out there who geniuses in there own mind?

8. Apr 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    Farlertwin

Farlertwin [OP] Member

Member:
    True resale is great and the trucks are reliable. What about some small good "quirks" that just make you look at your truck and say "Damn Toyota, you did a great job." For example, this last winter I took my '89 out because it had snowed a lot and I needed 4X4. While I was going down the road I noticed a tree was blocking the entire road. Instead of getting a chain out and pulling it off the road I said F-that and just ran over the damn thing branches and all. It was pretty harsh on the truck but when I got out to look at it not a scratch or ding on it. I call her "Yoda" because it seems it will never die. Just eventually become one with the force.

9. Apr 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    it's about priorities...

1. I want a truck, and not a full size truck.
    2. I want a 4x4 as I like to get to places where they're required
    3. My #1 requirement is that it's reliable. Especially since I like to get out in the boonies. That's the last place I want to break down. IMO, Toyota's are by far the most reliable trucks out there.
    4. Resale value? Yes, important - but the only reason the resale value is high is because of #3.

There are other reasons, but that's the most important...

10. Apr 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Farlertwin

Farlertwin [OP] Member

Member:
    Here is Yoda with a few things done when I got her in 2005.

IMG_0167.jpg

11. Apr 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Thats a nice truck ...

[​IMG]

But you ask "Why a Tacoma"? Honestly ?? I've had Fords/Chevies/Dodge/Datsun/VW's/jeep /Saturn & Toyotas

Every Toyota I've had (these models: Celica/Corolla/'83 Toyota 4wd solid axle/'96 Tacoma & my current 2000 TRD 4x) & all of them had seen mileage in excess of 225,000 miles literally trouble free with the exception of my 2000 which had the trans. go south at approx. 144,000 although considered a major repair in my book , this in no way dissuades me from either buying another one or recommending Toyota to others, thats the best answer I can give you...

12. Apr 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    Ammo Toad

Ammo Toad Ammo Toad

Member:
    First Name:
    Toad
    Panama City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD
    Just getting started.
    I've lived all over the world, drove Toyota HiLux (or something like that) in Japan and Europe. I've owned two Tacoma's and many Toyotas. First Tacoma was an 03 when I lived in Alaska. Within two weeks l lifted it and put on some 33's. Loved it. Drove it from Alaska, across the Canadian Yukon, to Vegas, then Missouri to Ohio and finally to Florida. Never a hiccup... I have a 09 now, bought new, been all over the east coast with it. Drop dead dependable, and The Chicks dig it....is there any other reasons? Best question would be, why not buy one again....

Products Discussed in

To Top