1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just getting started.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by thenrie, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Sep 1, 2007 at 8:25 PM
    thenrie

thenrie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    I just bought a 97 Tacoma, ext cab, 2.7, 4wd, 5 sp manual, in Pittsburgh. Since I am new to the area (from the southwest) I was inexperienced with the rust thing. Found out my rear frame is pretty well gone. I joined your forum hoping for suggestions for repair, and maybe finding some supplier or someone who may have a rear frame clip or a plan for building one. Hope someone can help. I love the area here, but sure miss the 4-wheeling in the slickrock of northern NM.:(

2. Sep 2, 2007 at 7:52 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Sorry to hear about your frame. There are some other members on the forum that are in that are, but my suggestion would be to call a frame/collision shop (the more expensive route), or talk to some local welders (less expensive, but may just be a temp fix).

My wife is from Farmington, NM. That is where I met her. I lived there for two years before moving to Texas. I love that area, but a new job took me to Texas.

Welcome to TW! :D

3. Sep 2, 2007 at 7:42 PM
    thenrie

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    Thanks for the welcome. However, I was able to return the frame eaten Tacoma to its owner for a full refund. He was an honest man (getting harder to find them all the time) and when I told him about he rust, he said he didn't know and agreed to take the pickup back. I liked the pickup very much, though, so I will probably be looking for another.

TTH:)

4. Sep 9, 2007 at 11:04 AM
    thenrie

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    I bought a '00 Taco yesterday. Good shape, solid frame (which is unusual for PA), 120K miles, 2.7L, 5sp man, SR5, TRD, no body damage or rust. So, I'm back in business with a Tacoma. Hoping to get pointers at how to improve gas mileage, as I will be doing a lot of highway miles with it.:D

5. Sep 10, 2007 at 2:19 PM
    Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Welcome back, hope all is well w/the truck.

6. Sep 10, 2007 at 4:15 PM
    m_taker1

m_taker1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Bug deflecter, vent shades, Airaid Intake, Pop 'n lock, replaced chrome bumper with black bumper, replaced chrome grille surround with a black grille surround, blacked out logo in the front, debadged, center console lock, grom audio mp3/ipod,weathertech digital liners
    glad to hear you found another TACO!! Where in the burgh do you live?

7. Sep 11, 2007 at 4:40 AM
    thenrie

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    I'm up in Wexford. Found the taco on ebay, then noticed it was located in Beaver Falls. Went up there and liked it, bought it. Happy. Now just getting details squared away on it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Feb 12, 2008 at 9:54 AM
    telcobilly

telcobilly Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Silver Tacoma Xtracab SR5 2.4 5spd
    Stock right now.
    From what I'm reading, the frame rust problem is for pre-2000 Taco's? I hope so, I have a '04 gen Taco, except I live in CA. (ocean air though..)

9. Feb 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Welcome to TW, wow that is unheard of ! good for you and the previous owner. Factory non-aggressive tires, tune up, watch the RPM's, maybe a cover for the back should really help the mileage.

10. Feb 12, 2008 at 4:03 PM
    thenrie

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    You know, I never thought about a bed cover. I'll bet that would help a bit. Otherwise, I've discovered since I posted the above, that my taco has a 4.30:1 rear diff, which keeps me looking for a 6th gear on the highway, so the rpm issue is there to stay (if I really want to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time). As she now is, I'm going to have to be happy with 22mpg max on the highway, about 18-19 in town. I'm so happy with the pickup that I just live with the mileage.

And, yes, the rust issue was for pre-2000, from what I have read as well. I know mine is solid at 123K miles, whereas the '97 was rusted through at 139K, both have lived their lives in generally the same area (Pittsburgh). Just the same, I took mine down and got an anti-corrosion treatment and an undercoat job. Figured it was a good investment at $300.

Products Discussed in

To Top