1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New here and still looking for a 1st gen

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Realred96, May 13, 2013.

1. May 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    Realred96

Realred96 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Houston
    I decided to jump in and see what it is all about! I have been looking for any year 1st gen with an extended cab and 4WD and 5 speed. Little or no luck here in Houston, tons of them on Craigslist but all are automatics.

I did find one over the weekend at a local used car lot. it was a 95.5 fully loaded, exactly what I wanted, BUT.......

It had 304,412 miles.

Not the end of the world cause I am handy with tools, so I went to look at it. I took a drive on it and it actually drove pretty well. I was impressed and told dude what was his price. He said $5,000.00 and I said maybe if the boss approves.

So I get approval and head back the next day to close the deal. I was still a little nervous about the mileage but I don;t care anymore I am tired of looking.

So a little voice said to drive it one more time and at least red line it once to see if it smokes. I get it to 3500 RPM and it is like a rev limiter kicked in. I put in 5 bucks in gas to see if it is running out, but no dice. 3500 RPM rev limiter again. I head back to the lot and tell dude that no deal, can't buy it if it won;t go above 3500 RPM.

I have worked on many many cars, and I love a challenge. This one is probably a MAF sensor dirty or a bad ground, but you know, not my problem. I tell dude to fix it and call me if he wants to sell it.

So I call dude today and he tells me that Toyota installed a rev limiter on all Tacoma's that is set for 3500 RPM! And this is why they last so long.

Holy crap I almost fell over from laughing so hard. I have never heard a used car dealer use that one before!

He said that Toyota would have to reprogram it out in order for it to hit redline.

I asked him why they bothered to put a tachometer in and he basically said it was for LOOKS!

Wow, what a tool.

Soooo....bottom line is I am still on a quest for the right Taco!:)

2. May 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Realred96

Realred96 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Houston
    What? Why would they do that?

Edit, Your font was too light for me to see it. I am glad this was BS.

Last edited: May 13, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top