Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New here and still looking for a 1st gen

Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Realred96 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
Realred96's Tacoma Gallery
New here and still looking for a 1st gen

I decided to jump in and see what it is all about! I have been looking for any year 1st gen with an extended cab and 4WD and 5 speed. Little or no luck here in Houston, tons of them on Craigslist but all are automatics.

I did find one over the weekend at a local used car lot. it was a 95.5 fully loaded, exactly what I wanted, BUT.......

It had 304,412 miles.

Not the end of the world cause I am handy with tools, so I went to look at it. I took a drive on it and it actually drove pretty well. I was impressed and told dude what was his price. He said $5,000.00 and I said maybe if the boss approves.

So I get approval and head back the next day to close the deal. I was still a little nervous about the mileage but I don;t care anymore I am tired of looking.

So a little voice said to drive it one more time and at least red line it once to see if it smokes. I get it to 3500 RPM and it is like a rev limiter kicked in. I put in 5 bucks in gas to see if it is running out, but no dice. 3500 RPM rev limiter again. I head back to the lot and tell dude that no deal, can't buy it if it won;t go above 3500 RPM.

I have worked on many many cars, and I love a challenge. This one is probably a MAF sensor dirty or a bad ground, but you know, not my problem. I tell dude to fix it and call me if he wants to sell it.

So I call dude today and he tells me that Toyota installed a rev limiter on all Tacoma's that is set for 3500 RPM! And this is why they last so long.

Holy crap I almost fell over from laughing so hard. I have never heard a used car dealer use that one before!

He said that Toyota would have to reprogram it out in order for it to hit redline.

I asked him why they bothered to put a tachometer in and he basically said it was for LOOKS!

Wow, what a tool.

Soooo....bottom line is I am still on a quest for the right Taco!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
no seriously toyota did that. NOT! what a load of shit!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Realred96 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
Realred96's Tacoma Gallery
What? Why would they do that?

Edit, Your font was too light for me to see it. I am glad this was BS.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
good luck.