Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Hey Guys, A Few Questions,

Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Mac5.56 is on a distinguished road
Mac5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys, A Few Questions,

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and my 2012 4 Cylinder 5 Speed with 4x4 is my first new vehicle ever and was bought to be a work horse of a truck used for off roading, hunting, camping, back country, and being beaten to hell.

I've been driving in the backcountry of this country my entire life, and after watching my family and others go through many vehicles my father and I settled on Tacomas as a great option. I am more then happy with mine.

I joined the forum though because I am more then surprised at the how few aftermarket parts there are for the rail system in the bed. My wife, and my 6 month old are about to set out on a back country off road trip for our summer vacation and after a test run this memorial day weekend my wife and I realized our storage space has been completely compromised due to the car seat. We need external storage space that is secure and waterproof.

I figured with how modular the bed rails are that there would be a wealth of options but all I see are the typical truck tool boxes. Where do you guys shop for your bed accessories and are there some aftermarket makers out there that can offer me some innovative ways of storing gear using what is the best bed system on the market?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
taylortrev is on a distinguished road
Name: Taylor
taylortrev's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you
happy to be here
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!!!

Here is my bed rack. It mounts onto the bed rail system.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Will the Thrill
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
I see a lot of people put large plastic containers in the bed to store stuff, let me see if I can dig up some pictures and specs for you.

EDIT - Found a couple for you. There are also storage compartments behind and under your rear seats if you did not know that already. I know these aren't what you had in mind with utilizing the bed rail system, but just some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Tacoma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boks View Post
These bins fit in the back of a short box like they were made for it. Fits two 48 gallon Rubbermaid bins and two 24 gallon Rubbermaid bins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
I got a smart bin from Walmart and I love it.

Matt
Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Mac5.56 is on a distinguished road
Mac5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys thanks for the heads up.

I was looking at the Rubbermade and it may do the trick if I can figure out how to weather seal it. I want something modular because I use my full bed a lot. So a camper shell, or even a mounted typical tool box are not things I am interested in.

I was looking at Pelican cases but they are as expensive as the Toyota tool box that mounts to the rail.

So there aren't any aftermarket companies that utilize Toyotas rails to make add ons. That really shocks me.