Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Owners manual question - 4x4 use

Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
ChunkyLover53 is on a distinguished road
ChunkyLover53's Tacoma Gallery
Owners manual question - 4x4 use

Hi guys,

It's my first post, and I just got a 2013 Tacoma. It is a single cab, manual transmission, 4x4, 4 cylinder.

This is my first 4x4 vehicle, and I have a question after reading the owners manual. It says that 4wd should not be used on hard, dry surfaces to prevent wear. It also says that owners should drive the truck for 10 miles per month in 4wd to keep the front end components lubricated.

I don't know if I will make it to the snow or beach every month, and I was wondering what some of you guys in the same situation do for this. Should I just make time each month to get out into the mud, or dirt, or down around the river? I have no problem doing that, but I just wanted to get some input from you guys.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Grass, dirt, sand, anything that lets the drivetrain " slip" a little. Go exploring those roads you always wanted to see what's down there.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
ChunkyLover53 is on a distinguished road
ChunkyLover53's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't really have any big plans for the truck except to be a daily driver and have a little bit of fun. I have always had friends with 4x4 vehicles, and hopefully now I can join them on some of the more mild trips.

Since tailgate stealing is pretty popular in my area, I was thinking of getting a lock for the tailgate release. My truck is the super white color with black plastic accent pieces. I was thinking about the pop and lock release. I don't think I will get the automatic release with the actuator and everything, just the manual key lock one. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I was wondering what the most accepted drop in air filter is around here to make sure the intake air flow is good? If you guys could direct me to a thread with that information I would appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
tnttse is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
tnttse's Tacoma Gallery
drive in a straight line under 40 and you'll be alright. 4x4 doesnt like turns on dry pavement