1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Owners manual question - 4x4 use

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ChunkyLover53, May 28, 2013.

1. May 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    ChunkyLover53

ChunkyLover53 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Hi guys,

It's my first post, and I just got a 2013 Tacoma. It is a single cab, manual transmission, 4x4, 4 cylinder.

This is my first 4x4 vehicle, and I have a question after reading the owners manual. It says that 4wd should not be used on hard, dry surfaces to prevent wear. It also says that owners should drive the truck for 10 miles per month in 4wd to keep the front end components lubricated.

I don't know if I will make it to the snow or beach every month, and I was wondering what some of you guys in the same situation do for this. Should I just make time each month to get out into the mud, or dirt, or down around the river? I have no problem doing that, but I just wanted to get some input from you guys.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks

2. May 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Grass, dirt, sand, anything that lets the drivetrain " slip" a little. Go exploring those roads you always wanted to see what's down there.

3. May 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Welcome

4. May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    ChunkyLover53

ChunkyLover53 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Thanks for the responses guys. I don't really have any big plans for the truck except to be a daily driver and have a little bit of fun. I have always had friends with 4x4 vehicles, and hopefully now I can join them on some of the more mild trips.

Since tailgate stealing is pretty popular in my area, I was thinking of getting a lock for the tailgate release. My truck is the super white color with black plastic accent pieces. I was thinking about the pop and lock release. I don't think I will get the automatic release with the actuator and everything, just the manual key lock one. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I was wondering what the most accepted drop in air filter is around here to make sure the intake air flow is good? If you guys could direct me to a thread with that information I would appreciate it.

5. May 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    tnttse

tnttse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4
    OME Lift
    drive in a straight line under 40 and you'll be alright. 4x4 doesnt like turns on dry pavement

Products Discussed in

To Top