Notices

Torque Converter and Tranny going Bad - Maybe

Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
zeppyman is on a distinguished road
Name: jim
zeppyman's Tacoma Gallery
Torque Converter and Tranny going Bad - Maybe

Hello and Help please.

Have a 2009 Dbl Cab Tacoma with 107,000 miles on it.

Have a vibration at 38 to 42 mph...nice little shake sounds like it is coming from the front. It gets amplified if your going up a grade and hold at that 40 plus or minus speed.

Took it into the dealer finally and they determined it was a Cam Gear as they got a code for it. They replace it and still there.

Next they tried replacing drive shaft and u joints. Yes, still there and so they put back on the old drive shaft and Us.

Finally, it was determined to be the Torque Converter....and later the next day they added the Transmission. They replaced both and you got it....problem still there but better they said.

Diagnosis: The Torque Converter had went bad and it cause the transmission to be recommened to be replaced as well. Tranny runs fine as far as I can tell but they found aluminum metal shavings in the pan and said it the Tranny was corrupted...would go in time. Now there searching for what is making even the new Torque Converter do what the old one did. They believe it is the computer sending a wrong signal and the clutch or fly wheel is not engaging at 40 mph. I don't fully understand the mechanics behind it all. All I know there still looking for the causitive problem and I am waiting to be told next I have a bad computer.

Gentlemen, I am at a loss and surely don't want to pay for a new tranny when perhaps it was not necessary. Could it be somthing simple like a strut or something. Oh yeah, forgot they replaced one broken engine mount but that was not it.

Could it be the Rear Diff?

If it turns out be the rear diff or anything else not capable of directly effecting the performance of the torque converter then all these repairs mostly have been perhaps in vain.

I could sure use some help. They have the truck for another day or two and I want to be prepared to discusss what they report back to me. Also, IF whether or not I have paid for a New Transmission and Torque C. unnecessarly. Not saying I have but I need to feel comforable the repairs made have been fair.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
next time it occures put it in 4wd and see if it goes away.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
jrowe4321 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
jrowe4321's Tacoma Gallery
did you ever figure out what the problem was? My truck is making the same exact vibration and i took it to toyota a week ago and theyve been trying to fix it for 2 weeks. They put a new driveshaft in last week and it didnt change anything and they are putting a new transmission in tommorow. It was the weirdest thing, both mine and my friends tacoma started the weird vibration around the same time..
Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Fightin Texas Aggie
TX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TX Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever definitively figure out your issue?

I have a 2009 PreRunner Dbl Cab 4.0L with 95K miles. Just started having similar situation vibrations at 22-25mph, 32-35mph, and 40-43mph, usually at 1500rpm, while under load (accelerating) and gets worse if I'm driving up an incline.

Have done the following:
New tires (balanced of course)
New u joints (all 3)
Transmission flush and new filter
New spark plugs

I found nothing in the transmission pan to suggest anything other than usual wear (minimal grey sediment on magnets, no shavings).

Truck still vibrates. I could believe a computer is telling the transmission something incorrect, but I'm open to other input as well.

My truck has never suffered from the well documented vibrations that some tacomas seem to have from day one. I don't think this is anything like the carrier bearing or driveshaft having incorrect operating angles since this problem was nonexistent in the first 94,000 miles of driving. I think this is something that has gone bad and needs replacement, just don't know what yet.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like the OP hans't been back i a while. His profile says last log in was 6/2013.. Annoying as its always nice to get some feedback as the the end result..
Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
sportsfreak3122 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
sportsfreak3122's Tacoma Gallery
I recently bought a 2002 Tacoma trd and was thinking about lifting it to put 35/9.5/16 on it any lift recomendations?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
nucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
nucktaco's Tacoma Gallery
starting your own thread or using the search feature might be a good place to start.