Notices

Air flow meter with supercharger

Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Josher is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Retired from missouri ANG/AGR
Name: Joe
Josher's Tacoma Gallery
Air flow meter with supercharger

Hello, i have a 98' tacoma prerunner with a 3.4L. It has had the following mods....

A Trd supercharger (assuming the receipt in glove box for a "custom high stall converter" $420 is the 'TRD supercharger'

And i also found a receipt in the glove box for item FTC1-017E(something to do with fuel/timing cal, etc.) with a cost of $579.00

The air flow meter is a bigger diameter than the stock meter. The original application for this meter is to a 93-98 supra turbo. This air flow meter has gone bad.

I cannot find this exact meter anywhere but the Toyota dealer for $1,000.00! My question is...can i use a different toyota maf, as long as it is the same diameter air opening and plug-in? For example, the air flow meter of a 95-97 Lexus LS400 is nearly identical except for the cross hairs in what i call the center torpedo tube. I can find this maf at salvages for less than $100. Can you tell me if this maf would work or should i send this broken meter off to cardone through my local auto parts and have it rebuilt for nearly $300?

I appreciate any advice you can give me. My truck has been down for weeks and i'm really needing to get it fixed. Would just like to do so as cheap as possible.

Thank you, Joe
Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt that a MAF for a different engine will give the ECU a correct reading
Old 06-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Josher is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Retired from missouri ANG/AGR
Name: Joe
Josher's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it might if it was wired the same with the same plugin(toyota making lexus) and the diameter of the mafs opening was exactly the same. Isnt the job of the maf to sense the air flow and send that info to the ECU so it knows how much fuel to send?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
amain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
amain's Tacoma Gallery
You will know if you have a TRD supercharger. I am thinking not unless you forgot to add a zero at the end of your $420 receipt. Post a pic of the part you need and I'm sure someone could help.