Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

I'm a girl with a brake?/clutch? problem

Old 06-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Hele is on a distinguished road
Hele's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a girl with a brake?/clutch? problem

Brand new- first post- bear with me, as I try to explain...
I went back to the Toyota dealer today with a question, they ran a diagnostic and found no "errors", so I appeal to you.

I have been driving clutch cars/trucks for lots of years. My 2007 Tacoma Pkup has beeen great, but now has an unusual problem. When I park the truck in gear, (engine off) every 2 minutes or so, it gives a gentle rock (slight forward-backward motion. (clutch slipping?)This continues if I am parked on a slight (or more) incline. The truck slowly inches backward. The only remedy is using the emergency brake. This worked fine for quite a while, but few months ago, the emergency brake locked the back wheels, and my truck needed to be towed on a flatbed truck. The garage took the emergency brake apart, found nothing, greased, oiled and put it back together. All was good for a while, but now, especially after a rain, it seems the emergency brake is not releasing all of the way. It feels like I am driving with the brake partially on. My question... what's going on? What is this slight rocking when parked on incline? and is it affecting the emergency brake? What needs fixing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
I can't help, but you'll get lots of members who can.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
interesting problem, i cant help you out. would love to hear what other people say tho
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Try reversing and hit the brake hard 2 or 3 times; I think that adjusts the parking brake.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
dsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DSJ
dsjones5's Tacoma Gallery
how many miles are on the truck? and how many miles are on that particular clutch?

It may be that your clutch needs to be replaced if it is slipping that bad. Does it slip at all when in gear? does it slip when trying to shift at all?

I would take it toyota dealer and talk to service tech. May need to replace emergency brake spring. I had to replace it on one of my fords because the E- brake kept trying to stick after I disengaged it.

Just my 2 cents tho. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Hele's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Steve, I will try that.
What about the rocking motion- any ideas?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Hele's Tacoma Gallery
Makes sense- will check that.

An aside- I am impressed with such quick responses, thanks.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Hele's Tacoma Gallery
This only happens in gear while parked, engine off.
No other slipping noticed while driving.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds more like the engine turning, than the clutch slipping.

With the engine in gear and the parking brake off there is really nothing stopping the truck from moving except the engine. A little slow leakage of the compressed cylinders and it will jog ahead as a valve opens.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
what he said, as an engine gathers miles, they get a bit looser, and the movement is happens as the compressed air leaks from a cylinder...

as far as your emergency brake goes, take it to a different dealer if possible...
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
That sounds more like the engine turning, than the clutch slipping.

With the engine in gear and the parking brake off there is really nothing stopping the truck from moving except the engine. A little slow leakage of the compressed cylinders and it will jog ahead as a valve opens.
This ^^
Old 06-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Hele's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
what he said, as an engine gathers miles, they get a bit looser, and the movement is happens as the compressed air leaks from a cylinder...

as far as your emergency brake goes, take it to a different dealer if possible...
Thanks, it does feel like compressed air (almost like a sigh) after turning everything off.

How is this remedied, please.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Use the parking brake.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Hele's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
Use the parking brake.
oy vay!
Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hele View Post
Thanks, it does feel like compressed air (almost like a sigh) after turning everything off.

How is this remedied, please.
Parking brake is the correct answer, we haven't addressed that yet.

One thing that could help is using 1st gear instead of reverse when you park. First gear has a 4.17 ratio and reverse has 3.61. If nothing else it will take longer for the truck to slowly roll on you in first.

Slip her into 4lo to take even longer, but it is still gonna roll with enough incline.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #16
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
yup^ all what was said above is correct. park it in gear and ebrake pulled. safest way to park a manual transmission truck. get the ebrake cleaned and adjusted and lubricated, that insures proper operation
Old 06-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Hele's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Parking brake is the correct answer, we haven't addressed that yet.

One thing that could help is using 1st gear instead of reverse when you park. First gear has a 4.17 ratio and reverse has 3.61. If nothing else it will take longer for the truck to slowly roll on you in first.

Slip her into 4lo to take even longer, but it is still gonna roll with enough incline.
Yup, that's one problem solved. Reverse is worse than 1st gear.

So use a block behind the wheel and get the brake fixed.
You have all been a great help.

Thanks, night!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #18

Block behind the wheel is a great temporary fix.