Notices

Help w/ Fender Flares & DIY bed liner

Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Colton98SR5 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colton
Colton98SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Help w/ Fender Flares & DIY bed liner

Hey guys,
I've got two topics I am looking for some pointers on. The first has to do with fender flares. I have a pair of fender flares off an 02 tacoma I am going to put on my 98, which has only the stock less than 1inch metal "flares". I need some kind of alternative for the plastic/rubber trim that fits between the flare and the fender of my truck - so my first question is if anyone knows what a good material is to use for this? I am also not thrilled about drilling holes in my fender to make places for the clips to connect - so my second question is if anyone has any alternatives to drilling holes? Again these are the 3 inch flares from a 02 that will be going on my 98.

The next topic is a little more general. I am interested in getting a sprayon/roll on bedliner, and I am curious what has been your experience if you have done it yourself. Is it easy? Would you recommend diy or taking it to a shop? I am all for saving the $400 by doing it myself, I just want to make sure I can do a good enough job that it doesn't end up looking like junk.

Thanks!
Colton
Old 06-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
There was a lively discussion about this not long ago:
www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282078&referrerid=99302

For the flares, any company that sells Bushwacker flares can get the welting that comes with a set of flares seperately. It comes in a loose roll that has enough to do 4 flares for roughly $30. It covers about 3/16" and is double sided taped inside.
For mounting, you won't be able to get away from drilling unless you find some small spring clamps- but they generally don't hang on once there's a little weight in the bottom of the flare from silt & sand once you get it wet. Prime the holes after you drill them, being sure you have ALL the bare metal covered. Let it dry for at least a couple hours. Put some of that primer on the threads of the bolts before you run them in and it should last forever.