1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help w/ Fender Flares & DIY bed liner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Colton98SR5, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    Colton98SR5

Colton98SR5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Hey guys,
    I've got two topics I am looking for some pointers on. The first has to do with fender flares. I have a pair of fender flares off an 02 tacoma I am going to put on my 98, which has only the stock less than 1inch metal "flares". I need some kind of alternative for the plastic/rubber trim that fits between the flare and the fender of my truck - so my first question is if anyone knows what a good material is to use for this? I am also not thrilled about drilling holes in my fender to make places for the clips to connect - so my second question is if anyone has any alternatives to drilling holes? Again these are the 3 inch flares from a 02 that will be going on my 98.

The next topic is a little more general. I am interested in getting a sprayon/roll on bedliner, and I am curious what has been your experience if you have done it yourself. Is it easy? Would you recommend diy or taking it to a shop? I am all for saving the $400 by doing it myself, I just want to make sure I can do a good enough job that it doesn't end up looking like junk.

Thanks!
    Colton

2. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    There was a lively discussion about this not long ago:
    www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282078&referrerid=99302

For the flares, any company that sells Bushwacker flares can get the welting that comes with a set of flares seperately. It comes in a loose roll that has enough to do 4 flares for roughly $30. It covers about 3/16" and is double sided taped inside.
    For mounting, you won't be able to get away from drilling unless you find some small spring clamps- but they generally don't hang on once there's a little weight in the bottom of the flare from silt & sand once you get it wet. Prime the holes after you drill them, being sure you have ALL the bare metal covered. Let it dry for at least a couple hours. Put some of that primer on the threads of the bolts before you run them in and it should last forever.

Products Discussed in

To Top