Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Perfect Taco - Wrong color - how much for a custom paint job?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
lonestarj is on a distinguished road
lonestarj's Tacoma Gallery
Perfect Taco - Wrong color - how much for a custom paint job?

I've read other boards and seen prices for a good (non Maco) at $1500 to $2000 and excellent at $5000 - $7000. The truck available from a private seller has low miles, long-bed w/ TRD package that I want, etc. I just swore I'd never buy another black car in Texas (my current 4Runner is hotter n' hell in the summer and looks terrible after 10 years).

I appreciate any advice on price ranges and paint shops in Central Texas.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!

Why not buy the truck as is and wait for the paint to get to where you cannot stand it anymore and then paint it. This will give you some time to save up for this expensive paint job you're contemplating (if money is an issue of course).

btw...I'm a little biased towards black
Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Buy black. May be hot, but oh well, it has AC. Wax it often and it wont look shit after 10 years
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
stay with the black!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Black is the best color. I suffered from a few dents in the 4Runner, some of them my fault and some others. I guess I gave up trying to make her look good and kept her running well. 10 years on and she's still a great truck.

My choices here in Central Texas if I buy new are black or silver. If I go used, it's black. I thought a nice custom Burnt Orange with black trim might look sick. Hook a flat screen to the 110v outlet and I'm in tailgate heaven come fall.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i love the toyota black..If it werent for those pesky rock chips, and tree branch scrapes id be all over one.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
wouldn't the resale value of the truck plummet if you re-painted the truck a different color? welcome to tw!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i love the toyota black..If it werent for those pesky rock chips, and tree branch scrapes id be all over one.
ya it does show the rock chips horribly. havent had an issue with tree branches though
Old 02-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
Black definitely shows the rock chips. My hood is covered and I have have a few back-country pin stripes as I'm lucky enough to have a ranch to drive 30 minutes out of town. Cut back on the serious 4x4 after blowing a tire on the back 40 in 110 degree heat. All by myself, no cell coverage, trying to get the 4Runner down a hill to flat ground to replace the shredded left front. That was a suck.

And yeah, the paint job will hurt the resale, but I tend to keep my trucks for a while. I figure any money spent on paint will basically be lost. If I did go with the burnt orange, eventually it might make a great tailgate vehicle. I've always dreamed of a hydrauliclly operated grill that folds out of the bed...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Astar312 is on a distinguished road
Name: Amanda
Astar312's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both a black car and a black truck..think I would have learned after the first time that black looks great when it's clean but it's hard as hell to keep up with. I now have a speedway blue taco and she's so much easier to keep clean when I'm not able to wash her everyday. I love the black when other people have it, not so much for me.

If the truck is everything you want, go for it. Save for the paint job, or try your best to keep her clean and save for some chrome to make her stand out.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
zanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to all

Army:
zanodave's Tacoma Gallery
welcome- stick with black
Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
PatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Patrick
PatrickJW's Tacoma Gallery
I Get a lot of compliments about my black sand pearl 2010 TRD Off Road SR5 4X4. Takes work to keep it sharp looking though! Welcome & have fun here.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
My black truck has a lot of primer showing.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #17
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgage10 View Post
Once you go black, you never go back
quoting lil wayne now? lol

well custom paint...you could always go to maaco it's $300 there lol...but if your gonna go custom paint spend some money and get a good job done...and least you can choose anything you want! lol...but if you do, and want to do a good job on in and paint everything (engine bay, door sills etc.) its going to be big money.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #18
ToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt(hew)
ToyComa84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgage10 View Post
Once you go black, you never go back

haha alf (a little funny)