Notices

DEER !

Old 07-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
tinbasher57 is on a distinguished road
Canadian Army: Canadian Airborne Regiment
Name: Ken
tinbasher57's Tacoma Gallery
DEER !

Has anyone had any experience in connecting with a deer at speeds lower than 30mph/50K with an Avid Light Bar, I live around a lot of flower eating deer that like to walk/run out in front of vehicles just for the thrill of it, so I'm looking for a bit of protection for my truck without going to the ARB bumper extreme,but stronger than the common make Bullbars (thinner metal),your advice will be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome,

No experience, but I think you'd have to get them to beef it up a little (I've heard of him customizing them before) to withstand an impact at 30mph...

Depending on how many points they are, I'd say you'd prob have to worry more about the antlers hitting the truck...
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
... So the impression is that a stock Avid isn't able to really offer much protection to the front end? It's basically a rack for holding lights and not much more?

I was thinking the same thing as the OP for sake of deer around our area. Not sure I want to put on an off-road nuke-proof bumper just to commute through deer country and to the grocery store.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
... So the impression is that a stock Avid isn't able to really offer much protection to the front end? It's basically a rack for holding lights and not much more?
Pretty much. I'd trust a bull bar more than the avid one.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat as OP

Hit a doe couple days ago, didn't brake hard enough (ironically I had shot a deer earlier and it was in the bed) - cracked the paint and dented the front bumper of my 2012 DCLB

Not a fan of the bullbar look but it would have prevented damage in this case - I was down to maybe 5-10 mph when I hit the deer