1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello, first time tacoma owner, first time rebuilder

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jverbsky, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jul 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    jverbsky

jverbsky [OP] Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    2012 4 cylinder regular cab rebuild
    Just thought I would introduce myself..and add what I am finding from rebuilding a '12 tacoma. One year old, 20,000 miles, and the guys totals it..bought it from Copart for 5900 (reg cab, 4 cylinder). Basic truck, all I am looking for. Good news when I finally got it (didn't actually lay eyes on it beforehand), is that there is no frame or engine damage. Battery took a hit, but it jumped right away. New battery and it starts and drives around the culdesac like a champ. Excited to finish the body work, get it inspected so I can drive it for 200,000 plus miles..

2. Jul 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    Cheap way to get into a nearly new truck!:thumbsup:

3. Jul 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    Cool and welcome to TW. Last month I finished a salvage car myself. A 99 Honda civic that was guard railed on the drivers side. Bought for $400 cash and spent $2000 replaceing damage and performing maintenace on it. Tires timing belt and water pump, 2 wheels, 2 doors, headlight, bumper cover, etc

4. Jul 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    jverbsky

jverbsky [OP] Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    I am totally sold on salvage vehicles...just have to get better at panel work...there is a spot welder locally for $275, good name brand, $1100 used, that I am thinking of investing in...though my second choice was to rewire the transformer from a microwave and make a DIY spot welder...not sure if I will be able to get enough amperage for welds that way, but it was a great way to introduce the 10 and 12 year olds to transformers.

5. Jul 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    rickrock

rickrock Beer.

Member:
    Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    Tail gate lock, Tri-fold, Hood deflector
    That's a deal! Welcome :wave:

6. Jul 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    jverbsky

jverbsky [OP] Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    Not nearly as nice as yours, but still a Tacoma that I trust will run for years.

7. Jul 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    jverbsky

jverbsky [OP] Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, meant that the new spot welder runs $1100 (Lencospot MarkII).

One questions, was going to sell an '02 civic with 140,000 miles, good ac, just needs paint and small nicks repaired...was asking only 2500, someone offered $2000. I too just replaced timing belt, water pump, calipers...comes with new hood and front bumper, and a couple of hundred in OEM trim pieces (kinda lost interest, as you can see).

think this is a low ball offer?

8. Jul 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    Eh, yeah. Granted my dad bought mine form me for $3,000 mostly b/c I had over $2,400 invested in it. 99 4 door 108,000, my body work was "ok" but still better than some of the trash people drive in my area. The rear bumper cover was ripped off the car, it's a unibody, those mount points are gone. I drilled one hole on either side into the bracket that helps support the bottom, and used zipties to hold it there. All the other hold down clips I replaced with push clips from lowes. The car wasn't pro painted, painted with the dupli-color stuff from Advance Auto. Runs great drives great, new tires, new monroe quick struts, complete new brakes all 4 corners, only thing this will need in the future is fuel line b/c it's rusted ass fuck, but is working now. Still gets 35 - 40mpg :)

9. Jul 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    jverbsky

jverbsky [OP] Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input....I don't have to sell, and i like the gas mileage...Think I will paint it and see what I can get for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top