1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another New Member

Discussion in 'New Members' started by steveo27, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 [OP] Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Hello all.

I recently picked up a 2011 TRD Off Road Access Tacoma for a new daily driver and I was searching for a forum to use for information and picture posting and such. After some searching, this one seems to be the one. It seems to be pretty decent and moves pretty well. :beer:

This is my first Toyota and first Tacoma.

A little back history, if you will -

I come from the Volkswagen world and have been using the VWVortex forum for years, some of you may recognize my name from there.

This is my fun car. Its been my pride and joy. Here it is in its former glory. Its currently in the body shop in about 6000 pieces -

DSC_0506_694b01cecccd905e31698439a9218474737ec1e1.jpg

Its a 92 Jetta. Shave bay, VR6/o2a swap, GLI Recaro interior, coilovers, BBS RS's, buncha custom one of parts, ect, ect, ect.

And this is my other little project -

[​IMG]

It's my old lady's car. It keeps me busy when I'm not a the shop working on mine. Its a 99.5 Jetta. 2.0, 5 speed, air ride suspension using Airlift and Accuair parts, FULL anniversary GLI interior, Work VS-XX wheels, anniversary GLI lip kit, ect.

I started off with an '87 Dodge Dakota when I learned to drive. It was lifted with mudders and a few other mods. Since then, I've owned about a half dozen VW's through out the years, and have always stuck with them just because they are easy and cheap to work on and modify. But when I decided to put my car under the knife again, I started driving an '03 Chevy Malibu as a daily. After a year of that, I got sick of driving such a piece of shit every day and decided it was time to buy some I'd like driving.

Enter the Tacoma.

I've always liked em. A few of my friends have always had them, and at one point, my brother did too.

After test driving a new one, I was hooked. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford a 35k$ truck at the moment, so I started searching for used one.

I came across one locally for the right price. It was a 2011 Access Cab. It was silver. It had the TRD Off Road package. It was a 6 speed manual. And it was clean.

It was a awesome. nd after a little convincing/reassuring it was the right move from the old lady, I purchased it.

This is the only picture I have right now.

[​IMG]

I need to take some real, non iPhone pictures of it one day.

I'm glad I purchased it. I forgot how nice it was having a truck.

Anyways. I have a few small plans for it, mostly all functional modifications, but nothing to extreme.

- Bilstein 5100s up front
    - 1.5" Add-a-Leaf in the rear with 5100s
    - Tonneau cover
    - chrome exhaust tip
    - more D rings in the bed
    - LED reverse lights
    - locking tailgate handle
    - bed divider

After owning/driving modified cars all my life, its been hard driving this one stock.

:cheers:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Aug 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    EODTRD

EODTRD Brick horder

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tacoma OR, 2024 4Runner OR
    Welcome to TW. I swear that picture of your truck is like 3d or something.

3. Aug 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    steveo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Haha. Its just a crappy picture taken with an iPhone and edited with some stupid Instagram filter.

The only other picture I currently have of it is from messing around with with mocking up a 2" lift on it.

null_zps357b1dc2_2be4998c718786057a47a1a8f84683bd122fd9c9.jpg

:beer"

4. Aug 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    steveo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    I do have a few "noob" questions as I'm still trying to learn more about these trucks...

I see a lot of these trucks with the TRD Sport packagess on the road, but not too many of them have the TRD Off Road packages on them.

1. All the Sports I see have a silver skid plate on them. This skid plate looks to be larger and bulkier than the black on my truck. Whats up with this? Is the silver one a TRD add on piece where the smaller black one a factory 4wd piece piece?

2. All of the TRD Sports appear to be a little bit taller in the front than the Off Roads. Is this an optical illusion? This bothers me. Maybe its because the Sports have 17" wheels and the silver skidplates, but the lower control arms look like they sit on more of an angle than the control arms on the Off Roads. I have yet to be able to park next to a Sport. Maybe I'm over thinking this and I'm just seeing things

:confused:

5. Aug 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    Welcome!
    That skid plate is a very reasonably priced Toyota accessory that most people get added when they buy their truck.
    Suspension height difference- I never noticed! But you may be on to something with the rim/tire size difference...

6. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    steveo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    :beer:

Something that just crossed my mind is maybe most of the ones I see that look taller are Pre-Runners? From the side, I noticed these trucks are no taller than my 4wd, but from the front, they look taller.

Do the Pre-Runners use the same suspension as the 4wds?

Anyways, enough rambling. Here's a new, better pic of my truck.

DSC04863_zpsdc81b623_207cf4e6709260be627c58da0b49ee3538c0e684.jpg

7. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    Welcome and that first pic reminds me of an old VW I had. It was a 92 Jetta Wulfsburg edition. I gave that thing hell. It was a tough little car

8. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    steveo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    :thumbup:

I love that car. I've had it since '05.