1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 manual TRD O.R. versus 05 auto TRD O.R.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by imcshane85, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Aug 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    imcshane85

imcshane85 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    I'm getting ready to buy a Tacoma, and I'd like to get some in input about the pros and cons between the manual and auto version of the 05 TRD Off Road. I am a rock climbing guide, and regularly haul a lot of weight up real steep hills. My daily commute is on windy, hill country roads, and I like to explore new climbing areas, way off the beaten path.

I like the idea of the manual. I grew up driving them, they're fun, handle well on curves, good for off roading, despite the potential of burning up the clutch pad, economical if you know how to drive them right. So they've got a lot going for them.

The 05 automatic looks to be pretty cool, though. Could someone explain to me the benefit of how the low gears in the automatic work? It's kind of like a clutchless manual, I think. Newer Jeeps have a similar auto trans. Lastly, I believe the 05 auto trans TRD Off Road has the rear diff lock, and the manual does not. Is that right? Would the rear diff lock even benefit the manual trans? What would be more practical for my lifestyle, the manual or auto with rear diff lock?

I know that's a lot of questions. I'd probably be really happy with either one. Just hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks.

2. Aug 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    welcome,
    the TRD off road has the diff lock no matter what the trans is
    and even though i prefer a manual trans i haven't heard to many good things about the 6 spd, there's lots of people who i've heard complain about a rough trans, and a slipping clutch.

3. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    imcshane85

imcshane85 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Thanks for the reply, Jake. That's good information.

4. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    def go auto i like manual but my truck is an auto and it just makes things easier off road like when you have to crawl and go slow.

5. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    imcshane85

imcshane85 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Thanks, Richard. Good input. Do you use the "low gears" in your auto a lot?

I've had a chevy Z71 for a long time, and for a long time the (auto) trans has been getting worse, so when going up hill I'd often drop it down to 3, 2 or 1.

I think I remember at some point learning the taco version is different somehow?

Is it, or does it just make things easier by not involving the clutch when crawling?

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top